Quote:

I have no problem with safety or buying safety equipment. That's why I have more than required. What I do have issue with as does everyone else is "planned obsolescence" Otherwise known as SFI recerts. When you cert your car they don't even look at cage welds, yet require my tig welded chrome moly cage to be rechecked for thickness every 3 years? How many "cold fusion" certed cages have you seen? What makes it worse is that once you've spent the money nobody checks anyway. Tech?, give them your tech card and roll into the staging lanes. Yet they worry about 2 year belts? Get real.
Doug

I don't even know how they could tell if you TIG welded your moly cage or not. It's funny that it's a requirement. I have welded cages with a MIG, just made sure I used 100% Ar. No way you could tell, filler material was the same composition.

Quote:

And YET you say you can't afford to race your own car. Lets hear your story after you pay for gas money, entry fees, maintenance, and everything else required for supporting your car with your monies. Its more of a nuisance to me as I have 3 cars, two of which will hit the track this year. The part that bothers me the most is its a "money grab" and to keep the sponsors happy. I really feel for the guys that hit 1 or 2 Mopar races a year only to need belts again. My cars are teched by IHRA and NHRA officials and if while checking my belt certs needed replaced before the 5 year period I would have a new set in before next weeks race.

I am that guy. I make 1 race a year and 2 if I have the money (rare). I am just another guy, like the other 90% of the ppl out there that want to participate in blood pumping fun racing LEGALLY and the only way to do it is in a controlled environment, unless you want to get arrested. I don't go out to win, I go out for the fun and the camaraderie and to be part of the sport. My car is slow, not fast enough to require a 2 year belt rule, and on a single income family, yet have to pay for belts every 2 years. It sucks throwing away brand new belts, and not being able to put the money where it needs to be. I agree with Mr. P; 5 year old belts will still break the human body in two.

knyech1- '71 Sassy Grass Demon 340/904. Pump gas, 1.61 60ft, 7.439 1/8 @ 95mph, 11.824 1/4 @ 111mph "Not too bad for a pump gas 340, full of used parts and hillbilly ported stock heads." - V.B. '03 2500 5.9L HO 6-spd on 35's. 395hp/755ft-lb at tires.