For flat tappet cams, the lifter acceleration that is possible is determined by the lifter diameter. The larger the diameter, the more acceleration of the lifter is possible.
That is the reason people used mushroom lifters.

In the Crane Cam Lobe Profile catalog, PP1112A, on Page 17 the F3 family of lobes has the note, "Designed to make full use of .842" diameter tappets." This would be called a "Chevy lobe", but it can be used in any engine that has an .842" or larger diameter lifter.
On Page 19 there is the F4 family of lobes with the note, "Designed to make full use of .875" diameter tappets." This is called a "Ford lobe" and use of an .842 lifter on this lobe would cause failure. The lobe is usable for any engine with an .875" or larger diameter lifter. NASCAR engines are limited to .875" diameter lifters.
On Page 22 there is the F12 family of lobes with the note, "F12 mechanical series created for Chrysler and AMC engines using .904" diameter tappets for racing applications." This is called a "Chrysler lobe" and can only be used with .904" or larger diameter lifters.
So if you had an Olds block with the .921" diameter lifters, you could use one of these lobes, but the lifters would probably tear out of the bores on the passenger side.

I believe it was Dave Hughes who first used the slogan, "Real Chrysler lobes". He may even have trademarked it.

On pages 3 and 4 of the catalog is a discussion of lobe design size when choosing a roller grind. I hadn't remembered this until I reread the catalog recently. Seems that base circle and roller diameter play a part in which roller lobe works in which engine.

But you knew all of this, right?

R.