Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes, cost isn't the factor.......reality is.

Reality could be a MAJOR factor!! BUT... without cost, how can reality be brought to your garage or
trailered to the track? Cost sets the limit on dreams and ideas, which do turn to reality (if..the price is RIGHT!). Goes back to a ironclad statement: "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?".

If you take the whole of my entire post, you will see that the combinations I listed are basically not possible with an inline valve, wedge head.

The reason I mentioned reality is because it is unrealistic to think one can build an inline valve, iron headed MOPAR....within a restricted Superstock rules package and think it could produce 8.20 elasped times, or crest 160+mph in a 3200# 40 year old body style.

Just as a legal Promod, deep into the 5 second zone at 260+mph, or a Fuel car running near 340mph in 1320ft is a job best left to a HEMI style engine.

Not to mention what happens at the local car show, cruise night, or burger joint when the hood pops and common folk notice the plug wires routed into the valve covers.

Realities all and no amount of money can dream the inline head into these territories.

This is not to say that the excellent MOPAR wedge engine doesn't have a huge place in the world of performance. They are strong...reliable...cost effective...powerful alternatives to the more exotic engines in the MOPAR arsenal.

There is plenty of room for both HEMI and wedge engines. My only point is this....as good as both style engines can be, in no way shape or form is the ceiling of the wedge equal to the HEMI....be it in max N/A iron headed form, or all aluminum with a $10,000 supercharger jamming exotic fules into it......PERIOD.

In the mid level and even into some very serious builds, the B1 selections (especially the PSO) are capable of outstanding numbers, but that's when the costs of the engines begins to narrow. Moreover, the technology of builds at this level, seem to favor the wedge engine in a number of build-ups I've seen, including those in this very forum. I have yet to see a Millennium headed engine be assembled with all the trimmings....dry sumps, lobe relocation, raw castings carved with the latest port design, state of the art ring stacks w/max vac......etc.

Bottom line, for most applications, a straight headed MOPAR will get the job done very nicely, but there are certain arenas when a HEMI head and ONLY a HEMI head will do.

Very well said.
The only thing I might add is that alot of people seem to think the Hemi will awe everyone at a car show but I dont see this much anymore. I mean I used to see it all the time when Hemi's were scarce but I see so many Hemi's out there now that its not as big a deal as it used to be. It seems like there is always at least one or two or more Hemi's at my local cruise nite. Not like when I saw a 63 Ford with a 427 SOHC since they are so rare everyone was looking at it. Dont mean this to downplay the Hemi I just wanted to state that I see alot more Hemi's on the road now then I did 30 years ago or even 15 years ago. Myself I run to look when its a real factory Hemi car like a real 64 Hemi SS car or an original 68 Hemi Roadrunner. I guess we see so many more because they are alot of clones with Hemi's. And I also run when I see a real max Wedge car. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 08/09/12 10:12 PM.