Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are both Mopar so I like them both. But I know the 63 Max Wedge cars were street legal as anyone could buy one. I honestly feel in stock trim the Max Wedge was the fastest Mopar street muscle car sold in the muscle car era. Sure the Hemi was a race eng and would kick but when setup right but on the street in stock form it was held back and the wedge carried the banner for Mopar on the street most of the time. You have to ask yourself.........how many Hemi's did you see on the street in the 60's ? A stock Maxie 62 Dart 413 went 13.44 @ 109 for M/T. Good mph for a stock eng in 1962. 426 Maxie in 63 ran 12.60's @ almost 112 mph with just the cutouts open and Atlas tires. The Hemi to me was like Fords Boss 429 as it was choked out in stock form but was the king of all race engines where it dominated. The wedge had its place in Mopar history for sure and even ran good when prepped out. I dont know if my 63 would go any faster with a Hemi equipped the same as my wedge and thats because of the good heads out there for the wedge today. And everyone knows how well the 440 six pack cars ran on the street. And the Hemi dominated the first 2 years of Pro Stock so much they had to restrict it so GM and Ford could catch up. Ron

Well put, Ron.. and I agree..

Here is something else to think about.

My 71 Hemi Challenger was bought new by a guy with limited skills.

All he did was.

-Install headers.
-12.5:1 pitons.
-A Rat Roaster(unmodified)
-Carter Competition series carbs
-A Holley Red pump.
-A Racer Brown solid cam
-4.88 gears.

Car went 10.30's@134MPH. All stock suspension. Stock unmodded 4 speed, No spool. No headwork. Other than a big block Vette there probably isnt any musclecar that could go that fast with such relatively minor mods. Even ran the stock dual point distributor. No Chrysler wedge could do that, that I am aware of.

The Hemi really had it..

MB

sorry but a a 12.5:1 440 w/ a good inatke and carb(s) would run just as well... That's more than just a few bolt ons and far from the hemi's "stock" build. I'd probably run less gear w/ a 440 thou

OK...So with your theory.

Take a stock full bodied 3,600# 440 Challenger with a non tricked stock 4 speed.

Put 12.5:1 pistons
A set of headers.
Lets say a Torker intake.
An electric fuel pump.
A solid cam with mid 70's technology, like the Racer Brown.
An Edelbrock carb(just because the Competition Series Carters were just fancy versions of the original AFB's and were of the exact same design).
Any gears you want.
Dual point distributor.
100% stock suspension.
Untouched 906 heads and the stock valvetrain.

With that recipe you are saying you would run 10.30's at 134?? Lets not forget, this was done in 1975 with just a regular guy building/tuning the car, not some guru....

MB