I have to agree with both Monte and Steve. The Sportsman classes are suffering because of the Pro syndrome at NHRA, but without the Pro fans, the sport will cease to exsist. And like Steve said, the average fan couldn't tell the difference between a 290MPH run and 330MPH. Personally, I think they just want to hear and feel the sound of nitro. It's time to slow the cars down because the tracks can't afford to lengnthen the surface on the paultry money NHRA allows them to make for a divisonal or national event. And the track operators are every bit as pi$$ed at NHRA too.
Since our track went to IHRA, the crown appeal has doubled and tripled, and while I don't care for the format, I love to see the stands full. It means we will continue to have a place to race. And I have attended both venues now and must confess while I didn't care for the new format at first, I love the way they tech and run our part of the race. Although, I wouldn't ever care to spectate at one of these things. IHRA has also put their money where their a mouth is in improvments to the track.
IMHO NHRA has forgotten an important point, the weekend bracket guys pay for the show all year long, and they shouldn't treat us like second class citizens. The hiarchy at NHRA sucks. Rant over!