This is an interesting discussion.

I will cede to you that the "supertracks" would not exist today without the DSR's and the JFR's "evolvement". I will also cede another point that has not been mentioned...that is that there has been some political clout that may have helped the sport out in some legal issues.

That being said, there has been a trade off. I still believe that for every fan they've gained they've lost a stock/ss/comp guys and the support they brought with them. I really think that the numbers of 1967 vs. the numbers today confirm that. I also think there has been such a rift between the rank and file racer and the pros/NHRA that is very alarming. I can name ten long time racers that I run with that used to attend NHRA national events and simply are not interested anymore. They can't relate to it. Oh, they still love the sport, are still active, but don't give a hoot about NHRA?Powerade "Championship" drag racing. Has the trade off been worth it? I guess everyone will have to decide that for themselves. I don't, and I think that without that strong grassroots "foundation" the sport will suffer.

I honestly don't understand the resistance to slowing the cars down, rather than push 1000 foot racing on everyone. Control the fuel, air, and ignition and you've done it. You could probably do that with existing equipment. NASCAR did it...remember in 1971 when the winged cars were running faster than they do today? They didn't shorten the tracks, they put some controls on the equipment. I don't see why NHRA can't do the same thing. They got used to it in NASCAR, they'll get used to it in NHRA. Everything is relative, anyway....I honestly don't think the average spectator can tell the difference between a 290 mph pass and a 330, provided everyone is running the same.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com