As far as fuel racing goes...you have "cookie cutter" race cars now. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in them, except for the tune-up. Even the funny cars do not look like Detroit offerings anymore, they look like.....like....I don't know what they look like.

Here is what NHRA is missing. For every fuel racer, or even fuel fan, there is a hundred sportsman racers. Add local bracket racers, and it is probably 250-1. We are the guys who buy the Comp Cams, the Holley carbs, the tires, the converters and everything else NHRA relies on for support. I don't think anyone other than the fuel guys want to race 1000 feet, or are interested in "hospitality areas". We just want to do what a lot of us have been doing for a long, long, time.

Yet, all NHRA cares about is the John Force's and DSR's. That's OK, but they've thrown everyone else under the bus to cater to those guys. You say...."Well, they've got to 'grow' the sport". They've done a terrific job, eh? The TV coverage is on at what...2AM?? They've 'grown' the sport so well that instead of 54 T/F cars like entered Indy in 1979, they are lucky to get sixteen. Some "growth".

I've been involved in this deal since 1964. I attended every Indy from 1967 to 1992, and just did not like what I saw it becoming. I went to Maple Grove a year ago, and was ready to leave once I saw my Stocker and SS buddies run. There is absolutely no connection between the fuel guys and the rest of the sport.

Slow 'em down. You'll get more cars. Did you happen to notice that there were 34 Top Fuelers at Bakersfield March Meet this year? That should
tell them something.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com