Let me clear up a few issues first...
I read every magazine test or post on the Tremec conversion/ installation for about two years BEFORE buying my set up. Usually the articles were about B-bodies. These I understand have no fitment problems. I was well aware that A bodies require trans tunnel mods. E-bodies were supposed to be like B bodies. I heard some rumors that some E- bodies "Could" have fit ment issues.
This unit is from Keisler... I sat down with the owner (Shafri???) to discuss the aplication. I brought up fitment reservations...He assured me it would fit with no mods. He at first recommended the entry level 450 ft lbs rated trans. I explained that the engine had already been dynoed with a 6 pack and manifolds at 490 ft lbs of torque and that some day Id throw on the Victor W2/ HP 950- carb intake and headers (worth probably another 50-60 hp???) He then recomended the next unit rated at 550 ft lbs. I already had a complete Centerforce dual friction clutch set up but he said his was better, so not wanting to piece parts and have them later point the finger to a clutch that was not theres I gave in and bought his clutch, shifter and had him modify my scatter sheild. The original intention was for my wife to drive this on occasion as I also have a low 11 second street 69 GTX so I ordered up the hydraulic throw out brg set up which now works excellent!
Now some have questioned the shifting vs RPM... this is a MUSCLE CAR!!!Yes it is fine on the street at 3500 RPM but we drive these to hear the tires squeal and the engine whine. I have the horsepower for this to run low 12s maybe with sticky tires go 11:90s. This thing is so poor at shifting it only went 14.19 @105 mph at the Southern Mopar nats in GA two weeks ago. That is stock Mustang teritory not Mopar Muscle times.
Mr Dayclona...If I'm told the price of admission is $4K that is one thing...But if the real price is $6K let me know that up front and I will respect you so much more! At 6K I will look at other options...Jerico or what else is out there.
Bottom line some of these magazine guys got free parts (Im sure you now how that works) for doing an article on these trans and arn't about to say ANYTHING negative.
Shame on these so called journalist for taking gifts with out disclosing the truth!