Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Do insurance companies tempt you to switch to them with a low initial rate only to start a year or so later sneaking it up to where they want it at?

No, because if they accurately assessed the risk when they earned your business, they want you to stay with them as long as possible. It costs a lot of money to acquire new customers. The best customer an insurance company can have is a good existing customer. Retaining those customers is the top priority.

I don't think that's entirely true. Since Hanover decided to dump us they told me I won't be getting a discount for homeowners insurance. I'm shopping it around now. My brother's in the business so he looks for the best rate for us. If I have to go to USAA, so be it. I would like him to get the commission but if I have to move on he understands. Insurance is a big scam anyway. I have paid out of pocket having teenager bumps and bruises because generally nobody wants to get screwed by the insurance companies. I have $1000 deductibles and it's just not worth the aggravation or penance you pay for a mistake.