Originally Posted by jb500
What has changed in your combo from this point in time??? It was exchanging heat and dropping the coolant temps.

"At idle in my carport it comes to 170* the t stat opens and it drops to 150*ish. when it warms that water up the stat opens again and hot water from the rad coms in and a few seconds later at about 210* the fan comes on and brings everything back down to 170-180* idling fan goes off and then on and so on. it works in the carport.

This still happens. except now it has a mechanical fan. no electric fan, so it starts heats up, opens the t stat- comes down then slowly rises to 210ish.

Originally Posted by jb500

I took it for a test drive, it hung out around 200*-210* driving. seemed fine there, when i came to a stop it would slowly come down to 190-180* start driving again and it would go back to 200-210*. Maybe it isn't the best radiator? maybe the small ports on the housing don't flow enough water? maybe its a combination of it all."

now it heats up, and seems to stay around 210*, like its getting heat soaked. i don't know