I have welded in frame connectors and a 10pt cage.I will measure to make a template for the trans cross member out of the tubing like you did and from my measurements the th400 mount is in line with the trans member frame.The rear of my trans is closer to the floor so dropping it a few degrees
or 3/4" would help and I will figure out any shim on the axle and check my cal tracs fit.Thank you for your info!
Originally Posted by X9 X3 R/T
I don't really post at all, but I have run a 400 transmission in my 68 charger for a couple of years.
I recently removed it only because the car went to fast for the 5 point bar in the car.
It really is not that big of a deal to make fit. If your car is tied by frame connectors like mine is,
we cut the transmission crossmember to the center of the mounting bolts on each side. Then drilled out the
spot welds and made our own crossmember from rectangular tubing. It will put he transmission down about 3 degrees
lower than stock, but I was able to correct it with wedges under the axle. We never cut the factory tunnel.
It really is a sweet setup. I never experienced any vibration on the street or at the track. It easily stood up to a 498 wedge with
440-1 heads, 12.3 compression and a big shot plate system. With a 3800 Continental converter and manual valve body it really
was a great combo. Leaving on the transbrake with the unit the 1st time scared me straight. It also got me kicked off of all the
local tracks I can go to.
I returned the car back to the original 4 speed because I'm sill
a mopar [censored] at heart. And because racing a full size b body takes a lot more money than I'm willing to spend on a car I'd rather
drive
Call me if you have any questions 626 675 0664 pst
BTW, I still have the complete setup soup to nuts including the driveshaft and oil cooler if you do not have one already sourced.
Mike

GOTBOOST!New improved with Victor heads.
http://www.enginelabs.com/mopar-big-bloc...t-of-necessity/