Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
There you go. I can build an index (10.90) for around 5000.00 and 7500.00 in my 422 smallblock that would be perfect for (9.90) index. A good running heads up engine will cost you 10's of thousands and then 10's of thousands in the chassis. And lots of testing from what I see around my neck of the woods
I don't really agree with that and here is why. An 8.50 cert chassis is an 8.50 cert chassis, regardless of the type car. That same chassis will go to 7.50 with a FC cage, a few bars and not a whole lot more money. Now while I am a believer in the moly 6.0 cert chassis, the fact remains I have seen a lot of REALLY fast cars with mild steel 25.5 cages. Then you factor in racks, brakes, decent shocks, whatever and its all the same stuff on a quicker bracket car. So to say a heads up chassis costs WAY more is not an accurate statement in all cases. Now you wanna run 3s, yeah, you are going to drop some coin......deep in the 4 sec zone, not so much, or at least you don't HAVE to.

On to the motor. A block is a block, cam is a cam and many other parts that cost no more to make 700hp as one that will tolerate 2000hp. Instead of a $1000 crank you might need a $1500 crank and you will spend more on the heads in most cases, but that's about it.

I think most guys just get it in their head that heads up cars cost too much money before they even price it. I see plenty of regular "working guys" at the track with really fast cars. Just depends on how bad you want to do it and how resourceful you are.

While it's fast as balls, been 4.40s, Ron Rhodes car is pretty damn basic. Lightweight 67 Camaro with leafs and a moly cage. Really good motor, but it also has 23 degree heads, so it's NOT exotic by any means.

Gonna throw this out. I had a customer a couple years ago that whittled his 86 Camaro down to 2675 lbs with him in it. Still had steel doors, fenders and hatch. Lexan windows, stock floor pans, ladder bars and basic 7.50 cert moly cage. 400" dirt late model motor with just some decent 23* stuff. Didn't make much over 600hp. At that weight and a single .036 fogger, that thing went 4.80s. It CAN be done and not cost a fortune