Delay boxes were invented because the average human is QUICKER than .400. The numbers you get reacting to the practice tree function on your delay box tell you NOTHING about how you might react to the tree. All that you are looking for is consistency. The reasoning for this is that when you are inside the car the box display will always be different depending on the light. Do delay boxes and throttle timers make you a better racer? Absolutely NOT! An auto shifter will 9 times out of 10 make the car more consistent but that's the extent of electronics making things "better". There are different classes for anyone who doesn't want to use electronics in their car. I have a good friend who has a "D" Gas Ford that races in Super Street with NO electronics and does very well. He loves the heritage series and does very well at that and also races Pro at Famoso. There are a bunch of Pro (no box, no throttle timer) guys from Sonoma that do very well in Super Street as well. There are a bunch of guys from Sacramento that double in Pro and Super Pro with NO electronics that also do very well.
What I've learned from this thread is that there are dozens of different ways that we are able to race. I appreciate and enjoy all of it. Bracket racing is the most affordable and safe fun you can have beating the crap out of your car whether it be driver or dedicated race car. NHRA Divisional or National racing takes a LOT more money. There are guys with very low budget operations that do very well there too. Drag racing is always cut a better light and run the number for all of us. Even the pros have to have some idea of a number that they are trying to run to get the win, lane choice, etc...
So Monte is right, cut a light, run the number is the name of the game. I'm just happier than all hell that there are a number of different ways that I can choose to compete on dragstrips all over this bada$$ country of ours.