Originally Posted By dvw
I see many comments that Bracket racing is boring. I ask this; If you could build/buy a racecar with-in a working mans budget which would you do. Build a nice bracket car? Or build a heads up car that you new couldn't have a chance of winning with? Running NMCA events, watching KOS, and our local Milan run what brung there is a wide disparity in ET in the heads up classes. Many times I see the #3 qualifier is .3-.5 slower or more than #1. This wouldn't work for me. I enjoy competition. I got bored with chasing only ET long ago. Don't get me wrong. I still tune and strive to get quicker. Winning at bracket racing is far from easy. I'm sure many have never even won a race. It takes tuning, driving skill, and luck. So what would you rather have? A Bracket car? Or a off pace Heads-Up car? Personally I'd love to have a competitive X275 car. I don't have the budget. I don't have the time dedicated to test and maintain it.
Doug
You could likely build a competitive X275 car for what you have in the NSS car

As to the other question, I would rather be a career test and tuner than a bracket racer. I used to bracket race, was good at it and have two track points championships and a bunch of wins to show for it. Got bored to tears doing it though and then just started trying to make my car go as fast as it could. Also had a stint driving a mid pack alky funny car in the IHRA. We ran good at times, went some rounds and I won one divisional race.

Now days there is a LOT more racing to do if you want to do it. Some don't care for the hype, but there is money to be made grudge racing and plenty of it to do. Easy money maker for tracks, as it doesn't cost them anything as far as purses. We were actually testing yesterday with that smallblock nitrous car I mentioned. While we were testing, that didn't stop the guys that owned the car from placing some bets and setting up races. They won 5k on two passes

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 11/21/16 02:14 AM.