Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Get the dampener slit on 15 BTDC. pop the dist cap & see if the rotor is on or very close to #1 or #6 plug wire. loosen clamp & turn housing CCW till the can is on the pass side in the ballpark where you want it with room to be turned back & forth either way so you can adj it. turn housing some more slightly (either way) till the magnet is lined up dead even with the nearest tooth. take the wires out of the cap. plug in the #1 or the #6 plug wire (whichever one the rotor was originally at/under) into the cap terminal above the rotor. route em CW starting with the #1 you just started with and go 8-4-3-6-5-7-2 or if you are starting with #6 then going CW plug in 5-7-2-1-8-4. Fire it up!

How will I know when the Pertronix is ready to fire? Is it when the rotor is lined up with a post on the cap??

Also, my distributor is in the back of the engine and I can't turn the housing any more counter clockwise. That's the problem because the vacuum diaphragm hits the oil pressure sending unit. It needs to go back clockwise so I can advance it more (CCW) without running into the sending unit with the diaphragm. I've got it at about 12 right now as it is, but it's dangerously close to the wire on the sending unit. I need to keep timing where it is, but somehow change the position of the distributor body/housing/diaphragm so I can advance it more (CCW) up to 16 without getting into trouble with the sending unit.

Can I just pull the distributor rotate housing to where I want it then reinstall with the rotor in the same place?

1970 EK2 T/A 727