Boone and Dale had not fueled the Belvedere yet, so once again we left ahead of them. Rachael had ran out of things to talk about, and I was starting to feel pretty tired my self. We were just grinding out miles at this point, until the antlers started appearing on the right side of the road, then I was wide awake, and thinking about the pictures of ksj's white Challenger which met it's end with a chance bambi meeting! At first it was one every 5 miles or so, then we started seeing them in clumps. Everytime they would appear, I would see the headlights of Darryl's Dart behind me jerk towards the next lane.
15 minutes later, while I was still concentrating on the shoulder, I heard a loud noise outside my window, and looked over to see Larry's Nova go screaming by at 20+ what I was running, scared me awake, that much I'll admit to!
Dale finally appeared behind Darryl, and I started thinking about a fuel stop with all of us together again. We had stretched this one to 125 miles or so and ended up pulling into a station in Clarksville Arkansas. We were watching some serious lightning which appeared to be about 20 miles up the road and Dale walked over to me, "Larry told us at the last stop, that Jeff Lutz had called him and reported they hit some heavy rain near the AR/OK border, and were just crawling along!"
"Doesn't sound very inviting, and I'm going to need to load up on coffee if we keep going".
Boone had walked up and I gave him a nod toward the Motel sitting invitingly on the other side of the station, "You want to walk over and see if they have a room?"
"One or Two"
"Just one, we'll double bunk, and someone can sleep on the floor. I think it makes more sense to make the rest of this drive in the daylight, since racing isn't until 3pm tomorrow".
We reached a concensus, and skipped coffee and snacks for a good nights sleep instead, we drove over to the motel to find the red '55 Gasser sitting on the other side.

7457008-SAM_1912.JPG (116 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines