We didn't make it 40 miles before we started running into the rain, light at first, and gradually getting heavier.
Last year, on Goodyear SST Drag Radials, I had very little problems, even in a torrential downpour, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about these bias-ply ET Streets.
As it continued to get worse, we found ourselves running just off the butt of 3 or 4 semis meandering along at about 55. Boone put the Valiant in thier tracks, as they cleared the water off the road in front of us. This seemed to be a workable solution, and we rolled up another 10 miles in this fashion, until we aproached the AR/OK border and all the trucks had to exit into the weigh station. As they exited to the right, our nice little tracks went with them and we were confronted with the uniform sheen of standing water on asphalt. We went about 300 yards before the rearend took a little jump to the drivers side.
Boone and I grew up in Oklahoma, where our parents had large paper routes that had us covering roughly 400 miles a day, rain, sleet, snow, ice, country roads, those papers got delivered every day. I put in 131 miles on my 16th birthday. We then graduated to Tractor-Trailers, and everything in between in every kind of weather. So we have the experience and expertise to drive in this situation.
Boone made a slight steering correction with the wheel and slightly let off the gas...no brakes, no panic, just a correction. The back end over-reacted and swung wildly towards the shoulder, now we were at a sharp angle, heading into the fast lane, and an ominous guard rail on the shoulder of that lane. "Oh crap Boone, bring it back around", I shouted as my left arm grabbed the shoulder cross bar, and my right hand found the door bar. A car squeezed between us and the guardrail, horn blaring as our front end headed across the center line, Boone wisely gave a measured steer to the right, and lifted off the throttle, we returned to our lane, but didn't truly have control until our speed dropped to about 25. The best way I can describe it is, you have a locked rearend behaving like you are on black ice, but the front tires have rain equivalent traction, so it's a very interesting interface between the two. Every time we tried to add speed, we would again lose control of the back, and we're on a major interstate with a 40 mph minumum speed limit. "Boone, we MUST get off this road!" I empasized.
"I know, I know...two miles to the next exit!"

We bailed off in Van Buren AR, and pulled into a gas station to gather our wits and nerves (pic in the above post).
The other two pulled in and parked as well, Dale walked over shaking his head, "Darryl wanted to know why you guys were stopping so soon for fuel!! Apparently he didn't see all the gyrations going on in front of Rachael!"
I walked over to Rachael, "Fire up your smart phone, and find me an alternate route...hopefully a nice little two lane that runs parallel to I-40!"
She smiled demurely, and shot back, "Oh, NOW we can use the smart phone! Can't find it on your sheet? Don't want to call your Dad and ask?"
Ok, I had that one coming, but I was just a few moments away from losing my car, and wasn't in the mood. "C'mon hotshot, show me what that thing can do!" The pic below shows her at work on a solution.

7457380-IMG_2230.JPG (136 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines