We were still a good 30 miles out of Muskogee when Rachael called to inform us that they were at Okie's Steakhouse, site of our very first checkpoint having a meal, and would we be joining them.
"No. Boone and I still have a ways to go, and at this rate we're barely going to make Tulsa by 3pm", I informed her.
"Do you really think it's going to matter?"
"Never try to predict Oklahoma weather dear, your Uncle Dale has spent all day racing at that track, and then had to drive home in a blizzard, so I just want to be there when we are supposed to be, and then we'll figure it out".
We finished off the OK-10, and then pulled out on US-62 for a straight shot, we only ran 7 miles on this divided 4 lane, which is old concrete, but it was a dicey proposition, this took us over the bulging Arkansas River once again, just below the confluence where it receives the Verdigris and Neosho Rivers. We turned onto US-69, which I figured Boone would use as an alternate route to avoid the Muskogee Turnpike, but, alas, no, he jumped right onto the big road 5 miles later. Oklahoma toll roads have a 45 mph min. speed limit, "What the heck Boone, I thought we discussed this?
"Ah, we have to get back on the prescribed course at some time, and this seems about as good as any!"
The first 3 or 4 miles were pretty crazy, but then the rain lightened up considerably, and we managed about 50 mph without too much difficulty. It was surprising how many competitors we noticed on this 20 mile stretch, still working thier way into Tulsa. The little stock appearing 60's Ford shortbed, with the hood missing and a huffed FE, moved around us with ease, but we caught him again as we jumped onto the Creek Turnpike, he was pulled over at the tollbooth digging through his truck for change. The instruction sheet clearly said it was a 75 cent toll, and bill changers were on site, this clearly wasn't the case as you could see the hole where the bill changers had been removed. Boone and I threw our combined 55 cents in the basket, and drove on through, red light flashing and alarm going off, oh well!

7459000-100_0407.jpg (115 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines