Concerned, I went over and fired up the Belvedere and tried reverse and low..no problems, so I chalked it up to her being jacked up after that pass, and not getting the shifter in gear.
Since I knew we were going to be a while getting everybody packed up and ready to roll, I convinced Darryl to head on out on his own.
"Call me when you get to the first checkpoint", I asked him as he headed out on his way.

Dale was in his 1 ton, and had Cody with him, he was heading back to his place to get packed up. Darren had to go home and get his stuff packed, and get Jamie. I had to go pick up Boone, and his stuff, and Rachael had to take the Belvedere to Dale's to pick him and his stuff up!
The first order of business was for Rachael and I to leave the track and head for the closest gas station. When we were full of 91 octane, we jumped out on I-169 backtracking to Owasso. I had went about 3 miles when my phone rang, it was Dale, "Darren broke down, and needs someone to bring him some gas..I didn't want to stop in the 1 ton 'cause this is the truck that towed him in the track."
"Call Rachael" I directed, "She's got the fuel jug in her car".
Just what we needed! When I arrived, Boone was up and showered, and had most of his clothes ready to go. Mom, Dad, and Jamie were there also, so I told them what was going on.
Rachael called later and told us they had put in fuel, and discovered it was out of water as well, once they filled it up with water, they realized the battery was low, so now they needed jumper cables.
"It's just you and Darren?"
"No, Dale is here, he had Cody drop him off."
"Ok,...Boone and I will bring the cables!"
When we arrived, I quickly realized this was not a good situation. Darren had the Charger on the shoulder, but was nosed right up to where the solid white line ended and people began moving to the right to hit the turn onto the highway (see picture below). People were flying down this road and traffic was really thick.
"Dale, why is traffic so heavy here?" I asked.
"Direct route from Port of Catoosa."
"We need to wrap this up, somebody is gonna get hurt." I pleaded.
I'm one of those guys who will ruin a tire driving to an exit rather than fixing it on the side of the road, seen one too many extreme police videos, I guess, or as a truck driver, just have no faith in my fellow drivers!
"Cables aren't gonna do any good...he burnt the starter up before we got here.."
"You HAVE to be kidding..."
"Nope", Dale shook his head, "he thought it was just vapor locked, was worried about getting off the road, and melted the starter to the ground!"
"Alright...Boone and I are packed and ready. You need to take Rachael and the Belvedere to your house and do the same...We have to get moving! We'll take care of this"
The guy was truly dead on his feet, It didn't take much convincing, and I was happy to have my daughter and at least one car out of this situation.

7414544-SAM_1634-Copy.JPG (157 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines