Quote:

It should be, turn the wire and heat down not "or". Since the vert up is a slower process it has time to dig in and fill at lower heat and slower filler material. It will take a little practice to dial the welder in, once you get it dialed in write the settings down somewhere so you always have them.

When changing from flat to vert the heat needs to be turned down. Overhead you can still run the same settings as flat but you gotta move

For the most part the E70 series wire I'm assuming you're using can weld pretty decent in all positions.

Edit....

I looked at your pics again. The verts on the plate should be fine since you were burning edge of the material. But the verts on the tube I'd hit with the grinder and redo them. Just for the simple fact that when you were going down the puddle doesn't have enough time to get into the joint. I'm willing to bet money that some of that joint is untouched, it's just the edges of the weld that are actually fused.

Now there are gonna be guys that have done vert downs and they are fine with that and their cars are holding together and have no problems.

Vibration can wreak havoc on poor welds and where its not properly fused in joints is where the crack will start. Then it's only a matter of time before the whole part fails.

Thanks a ton for the guidance. I am going to take your advice and grind down the verts on the tubes and re-weld them the way you said. Once I practice on some extra tubes to get the settings right, I'll use those to reweld them.

On a joint like that, do you weave back and forth as you move up, or just in the middle and straight up .

Thanks again,
Greg.

1.50 60Ft. , 10.75@ 127MPH Hauling 3900 LBS.