Moparts

building back half car

Posted By: Chargerfan68

building back half car - 01/13/11 06:54 AM

A few more questions please...

When building a back half car with 4-link setup, in what order do the following steps/items happen in? What needs to be figured out first that would determine specific items ordered?

Certain things known:
1) Wheelbase established.
2) Tire size known (rim backspacing undetermined)
3) frame rail spacing established (26")
4) Tub size established (40")

I do not know the following yet (and need to determine the order which to figure them out)
1) ride height
2) Rear end housing width
3) backspacing of 15 X 15 rims
4) tub install height (based on ride height)

For mock up purposes for the build, do I just need the tire/rim to establish rear end width and tub location?

I know it is a lot of questions, but you guys have the knowledge.

Thanks,
Greg.
Posted By: LA360

Re: building back half car - 01/13/11 08:25 AM

You will need to establish where you axle is going to go in the car, it is also very important you get your ride height where it is going to be. This is important for the placement of the front 4 link brackets. I would start with the main rear cross member, get that and the front four link brackets positioned correctly and build around there.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: building back half car - 01/13/11 08:53 AM

Quote:

When building a back half car with 4-link setup, in what order do the following steps/items happen in? What needs to be figured out first that would determine specific items ordered?

Certain things known:

I do not know the following yet (and need to determine the order which to figure them out)
1) ride height

For mock up purposes for the build, do I just need the tire/rim to establish rear end width and tub location?

Thanks,
Greg.

Buy the EXACT wheels and tires your going to race with.....don't guess or estimate......
Posted By: rebel

Re: building back half car - 01/13/11 10:29 AM

i bought the rims i was going to use & fitted them up with a used set of slicks the size i was going to use. next i cut down the 9" housing to suit, which i fitted up with floater hubs. now i had a roller rear end that i was now able mock up where the best location was to have the rear sit in relation to the chassis & wheel arch. with that in place you can lower the body to the ride height you want to run & check driveshaft location. once we knew that, we could fabricate the diff mount & shock mount to suit knowing our driveshaft had room to move without touching the rear cross member. i had seen a failure in that area before i built the car so i knew, check everything & check it again.

Attached picture 6414729-DSC00144.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: building back half car - 01/13/11 10:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Certain things known:

1) ride height

Thanks,
Greg.

Buy the EXACT wheels and tires your going to race with.....don't guess or estimate......

that will determine alot.,, then set it
at the ride height you want... that will determine
the height you need for the tubs(make sure you leave
enough for tire growth)

Re: building back half car - 01/14/11 04:52 AM

Thanks very much for the info. I understand what everyone is saying. I will get the rims/slicks and figure out the width the rear housing has to be.

I now have the body mounted on a rigid jig perfectly leveled, since i removed the rear half of the car. Before I proceed with actually fitting and welding the rear frame rails and crossmembers in, does the body have to be removed off the jig for mock up? I am thinking I can lift the rear up to where I want it to sit at ride height and do the mock up with it mounted on the jig. I do not want to remove it because I don't want anything to move before the frame rails and cage go in.

Thanks again,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 01/14/11 05:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much for the info. I understand what everyone is saying. I will get the rims/slicks and figure out the width the rear housing has to be.

I now have the body mounted on a rigid jig perfectly leveled, since i removed the rear half of the car. Before I proceed with actually fitting and welding the rear frame rails and crossmembers in, does the body have to be removed off the jig for mock up? I am thinking I can lift the rear up to where I want it to sit at ride height and do the mock up with it mounted on the jig. I do not want to remove it because I don't want anything to move before the frame rails and cage go in.

Thanks again,
Greg.

I'm doing a full chassis right now... next week I'll
roll my chassis jig in and set the car on it... I
use the jig as the ground surface then reference
from that
This is where I'm at now

Attached picture 6416610-DSC00172.JPG

Re: building back half car - 01/14/11 05:24 AM

Another

Attached picture 6416613-DSC00164.JPG

Re: building back half car - 01/14/11 06:00 AM

Quote:

Another

Thanks Mr P body. Got it.

Re: building back half car - 02/03/11 05:56 AM

Hey guys,

Well I am getting close to installing the back half kit. It is arriving tomorrow and I am finishing up the repair and reinforcement of the rocker area. This is after cutting the back of the car off and removing the rusted and damaged rocker area.

Now, a few more questions. I went with the Chris Alston ChassisWorks Eliminator II 4 link setup. When I looked at the specs, I was surprised to see that it is designed to set the rockers at 6" off the ground. Is this correct?? It just seems so low and the front of the car at the rockers is about 8" with the drag torsion bars . I have them cranked up pretty high for some built in stored energy and the front control arm (lower) are still just touching the bump stops. I can't really set the front any lower.

At 6 " up front, the header pipes would almost be scraping the floor.

So the first question again is : is this right based on your experience with this particular kit?

If this is not right and potentially a problem, I was thinking of cutting the front section of framerail at the downleg of the rail 2 ", which would raise the car height 2" , giving me rockers at 8". If I do this, I know the 4 link brackets would hang down 2 " lower, and I would reinforce the front area of the brackets back into the frame connector area , and get shock/spring height 2" longer to make up for the height change. This would leave the bracket geometry the same as before and just be lifting the car up 2".

Is this correct and do you see any problems with this?

Thanks for any input,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/03/11 06:05 AM

I just remembered that "Craig" (his username) had the same issue and he lowered the brackets just as I am talking about (that's where I got the idea from (in the back of my brain...I must be getting old). So I think I might just do what he did to adjust it.

The only thing I don't like is my brackets hanging lower than the rest of the frame rails.

Greg.
Posted By: Craig

Re: building back half car - 02/03/11 02:16 PM

If you look at the faster Super Stock cars, they have the same limitations of higher than desired ride height due to stock front suspension, but want a low chassis bracket to get the IC needed. They usually have tubular main framerails that are a few inches below the floorpan and that gets the bottom of the chassis brackets low enough. I'll attach a small pic of Gary Wolkwitz's SS Hemi Dart that is that way. But I have seen a couple that are like mine, hanging down with a support brace.

Attached picture 6454516-WolkwitzDartUnderside.jpg
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: building back half car - 02/03/11 02:23 PM

Looks like you pretty much have clearance for about anything you want to put about anywhere you want to put it!! What are you going to use for a car to attach everything to?? Just kidding. I am not trying to offend you,,,I just think that I would be sort of 'intimidated' by the project every time I went into the garage. I have gotten into some big jobs like this in the past, but, don't think I will live long enough to do one like this now. Good luck and keep us posted with pics.

Re: building back half car - 02/04/11 05:34 AM

Quote:

If you look at the faster Super Stock cars, they have the same limitations of higher than desired ride height due to stock front suspension, but want a low chassis bracket to get the IC needed. They usually have tubular main framerails that are a few inches below the floorpan and that gets the bottom of the chassis brackets low enough. I'll attach a small pic of Gary Wolkwitz's SS Hemi Dart that is that way. But I have seen a couple that are like mine, hanging down with a support brace.

Thanks for the picture. I mocked the rails up tonight and I think I got them positioned in the right postition just to see where everything will sit. I need to lower the rails 1" in order to get the ride height where I want it and also end up centered with the tailpanel crossmember. I didn't want to tilt the rails to achieve this, and lowering them 1 " got me perfectly aligned in the back.

The brackets will hang down 1" and will be reinforced.

thanks,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/04/11 05:55 AM

Another question:

What would be lighter , using 20 ga. steel OR .040" Aluminum floor/trunk kit for the back half?

Trying to decide which one to go with.

Greg.
Posted By: rook440

Re: building back half car - 02/04/11 06:10 AM

Mr pea body i wish you lived by me I would love to help u build that car ...great project ...I might have to come down to dragweek in topeka just to meet u .............rook
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 01:15 AM

On the flooring and firewall NHRA allows .024 steel or .032 alum. The weight of .024 (24 guage)steel is 1 lb per ft. 20gauge steel (.0360) is 1.5 lb per ft. .032 (20 guage) alum is .452 lb per ft. and .0403( 18 guage) alum is .569 lb per ft. John

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

Mr pea body i wish you lived by me I would love to help u build that car ...great project ...I might have to come down to dragweek in topeka just to meet u .............rook

Hopefully it'll be done and on the trip
Posted By: rowin4

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 04:35 AM

One thing that wasn't mentioned on the rims you will be purchasing, remember the deeper the back space the harder it will be to remove the tire/rim from your car I would look at around 4" back space. and as for those pictures, My vision of a back half is completely different. Good luck with your project

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 05:49 AM

Quote:

On the flooring and firewall NHRA allows .024 steel or .032 alum. The weight of .024 (24 guage)steel is 1 lb per ft. 20gauge steel (.0360) is 1.5 lb per ft. .032 (20 guage) alum is .452 lb per ft. and .0403( 18 guage) alum is .569 lb per ft. John

Thanks very much for the info John and Rowin'. Much appreciation for the heads up.

Here's another question. What have you guys done as far as mounting the frame connectors. The rear attachment point is at the rear frame rails (set at 26") and it should spread out towards the front to meet where the front rails mount to the x member. But, If I do that, I don't think I will be able to get the torsion bars out. Besides getting rid of the torsion bar setup, what is the solution. No room on the insides of the torsion bar mounts to fasten them (I don't think)??

Thanks,
greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 06:11 AM

I believe your frame connectors should come straight back from the front frame/ crossmember to the 4 link crossmember that is tied into the body rocker panels that should be there.

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 06:17 AM

Quote:

I believe your frame connectors should come straight back from the front frame/ crossmember to the 4 link crossmember that is tied into the body rocker panels that should be there.

Yes, but the problem is it should be tied into the rear x-member right where the rear frame rails kick down...and that is only 26" wide. That brings me right into the torsion bar mounts if I go straight up front with them. If I kick them out wider in the front, I can't remove the torsion bars. And if I mount them at the rear wider so they are straight, I am sacrificing alot of support for the 4 link area which takes all of the power through that area.

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 06:33 AM

I just ran across some pictures of a '63 with a 4 link backhalf. The frame connectors were put in wider and straight as suggested above and then a triangular boxed support was welded in to the 4 link bracket location.

This is what I will do. Any problems forseen doing it this way??

Thanks,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 07:01 AM

The rear frame rails come forwards and down to the 4 link cross member at your determined width { 26" ] , the brackets for the 4 link are welded to the frame rails/crossmember, the forward frame rails can be welded anywhere on that crossmember and do not have to be inline with the 4 link. You still have to anchor the 4 link crossmember to the body. When I back halfed mine, I welded short 2x3 tubing to the remaining spring frame location and inside rocker area , then welded the rear frame rails to that. My frame connectors are welded into my original frame ,a short piece , which remained, my ladder bar crossmember is welded to my frame connectors which comes straight back from the front frame.
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 12:36 PM

On our 68 charger we orginally had the bars going to outside of the torsion bars to allow removal. Once we went with a strut we had to anglecut the front snot to fit against the connectors. John
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 04:56 PM

informational purposes only! here are some pages out ot a "high performance mopar" mag about back-halfing a 2nd gen cuda. only reason i posted is because they angled the frame connecters on this project. dave

Attached picture 6458400-hemidartclone154.jpg

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 04:58 PM

next

Attached picture 6458406-hemidartclone155.jpg

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 05:00 PM

last

Attached picture 6458408-hemidartclone156.jpg
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

Well I am getting close to installing the back half kit. It is arriving tomorrow and I am finishing up the repair and reinforcement of the rocker area. This is after cutting the back of the car off and removing the rusted and damaged rocker area.

Thanks for any input,
Greg.

OH, DEAR, Lord help us!!! You are a far, far braver man than I am!!!

Attached picture 6458605-100_0567.JPG
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for any input,
Greg.

OH, DEAR, Lord help us!!! You are a far, far braver man than I am!!!

Measure Twice then cut Three times Are you c/m cage?

Attached picture 6458790-P3090005.JPG
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 09:51 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

Now, a few more questions. I went with the Chris Alston ChassisWorks Eliminator II 4 link setup. When I looked at the specs, I was surprised to see that it is designed to set the rockers at 6" off the ground. Is this correct?? It just seems so low and the front of the car at the rockers is about 8" with the drag torsion bars . I have them cranked up pretty high for some built in stored energy and the front control arm (lower) are still just touching the bump stops. I can't really set the front any lower.

At 6 " up front, the header pipes would almost be scraping the floor.

So the first question again is : is this right based on your experience with this particular kit?

If this is not right and potentially a problem, I was thinking of cutting the front section of framerail at the downleg of the rail 2 ", which would raise the car height 2" , giving me rockers at 8". If I do this, I know the 4 link brackets would hang down 2 " lower, and I would reinforce the front area of the brackets back into the frame connector area , and get shock/spring height 2" longer to make up for the height change. This would leave the bracket geometry the same as before and just be lifting the car up 2".

Is this correct and do you see any problems with this?

Thanks for any input,
Greg.

Do you plan on getting the rear quarters, tail panel and such mounted before handing the rear frame rails? IMO that stuff needs to all be in place so the rear end and wheels can be correctly located. Need reference points to work from...not to mention something to plumb and square things to. Me, I would have left that stuff in place, cut the floor out only, hung the frame rails to the rear bumper support, then thought about changing quarters, sheet metal, etc.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: building back half car - 02/05/11 11:38 PM

No kit, everything home made except part of the cage. I had my tires an rims for the mock up so I could set ride height. Ladder bar car but same process. Centered my pinion as well. Good luck with your project.

Re: building back half car - 02/06/11 06:49 AM

Thanks for all the reference materials and info guys...I appreciate all of it.

I do have all the sheetmetal and it will be in place (mocked up) when I fit the frame rails in. I also have very careful measurments marked on the floor of all the relevant points. My goal is to go slow and very accurate.

I am just finishing the rebuilding of the rear portion of the rockers and I went with 16 ga which is thicker than the factory. I am also using 1/8" plates at all the crossmember locations to add strength.

It was far easier to cut off the entire clip than remove the trunk and frame rails without the qtrs.

I will post more pictures as soon as I can upload them on here (probably tomorrow eve.)

Greg.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: building back half car - 02/06/11 07:56 AM

Quote:

I just ran across some pictures of a '63 with a 4 link backhalf. The frame connectors were put in wider and straight as suggested above and then a triangular boxed support was welded in to the 4 link bracket location.

This is what I will do. Any problems forseen doing it this way??

Thanks,
Greg.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Beep

Re: building back half car - 02/07/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

No kit, everything home made except part of the cage. I had my tires an rims for the mock up so I could set ride height. Ladder bar car but same process. Centered my pinion as well. Good luck with your project.

Very nice work there!! Wow, that is a tight radius bend on the crossmember. Nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: building back half car - 02/07/11 05:33 AM

I'm doing a full frame for a customer and I'm using a suzuki swift front end with a little bit of modification, so far so good

Attached picture 6461834-041.jpg

Re: building back half car - 02/08/11 05:36 AM

Nice work Cbarra. Looks great so far.

I just finished repairing and reinforcing the rear part of the rockers and I am ready to start working on the front crossmember for the 4link.

I am planning on using some 1/8" plates to weld to my new rocker area and then weld the xmember to those plates. Any problem with certification if I just use maybe a 4X6 plate instead of a 6X6 contours to the rocker? It would be easier to just use a flat plate and it is still (I think) above what is required...which is to just weld the xmember to the rocker directly.

Also, do you guys with b-bodies and a 4link have to remove the entire package tray, or can I remove the reinforcement that hangs underneath and just trim arount the cage bars. In other words, do the rails clear the upper part of the tray??

Any constuctive criticism is fully welcome as this is my first backhalf build and I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks, and I will post more pics as the progress happens in the next few days. I am slower than most you guys...just taking my time and going real slow.

Thanks,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/08/11 06:33 AM

I made the plates so they sat on top of the rocker and came down the face of the rocker in an L shape and welded all around. i used 1/8" ( 10Ga ) plate.
Posted By: Craig

Re: building back half car - 02/08/11 05:59 PM

The "L" like superfreak said sounds like a great idea. The rulebook doesn't even call for a plate there but its a good idea. I used about a 3x5, 1/8" thick. I welded my plate all around to the rocker metal, but some folks have told me it would have been better to do some 1" stitches instead due to the thin rocker metal. I don't know if that's better but it would be nice to know!

Also, I have that same Alston E-II crossmember, and on mine, I found the driveshaft rubbed the bottom of the loop at some combinations of ride height, 4-link setting, and pinion angle setting. I can work around it, but it seems the loop is mounted higher than it should be. There's not much leeway in setting the crossmember height since it has to match the rockers, but you should mock up your axle height to make sure the driveshaft will clear thru suspension travel. I'll attach a pic of my crossmember being fitted.

Attached picture 6464250-2001_0718_202801AA.JPG

Re: building back half car - 02/09/11 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info and the warning on the loop, Craig. I will mock it up before I weld it in.

Another question comes up now: The 4link bracket spacers that you have to cut and weld the brackets together with are CM. The brackets themselves are mild steel, so do they DEFINITELY Have to be Tig welded together. Doesn't make sense to me that the frame and brackets are Mig welded in, and then someone would have to find someone to just weld those spacers in. At least the tubes you can take with you to a shop.

I can't tig yet

What's your experiences with this??

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/12/11 06:21 AM

Some actual progress today...I am moving alot slower than most of you guys, but I am trying. I am just going very slow and trying to measure everything accurately and cross checking all measurements. So far so good.

These are 1/8" plates I made to just reinforce the rocker area more:

The crossmember installed and welded:

I hope to get some more done this weekend. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks,
greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/12/11 07:10 AM

Great looking welds but a small piece of advice, you should just tack weld all your pieces until you get everything mocked up and into position where everything fits and lines up because if you have to adjust something you will not be happy, trust me I made that mistake and I was not happy. Remember.....progress is progress.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: building back half car - 02/12/11 07:39 AM

Quote:

Great looking welds but a small piece of advice, you should just tack weld all your pieces until you get everything mocked up and into position where everything fits and lines up because if you have to adjust something you will not be happy, trust me I made that mistake and I was not happy. Remember.....progress is progress.

Just use some heavy tacks for time being. It'd suck if the DS didn't clear and you had to cut that all out....

Vertical Downs

Otherwise looks great

Re: building back half car - 02/12/11 07:43 AM

Just curious how you located the cross member without knowing where the rear end will be?

Edit.....

I went back and reread everything, I scrolled over the part where you explained the marks on the tape.

You're a better man than me I'd feel unsure doing everything without having a physical car there lol
Posted By: jcc

Re: building back half car - 02/12/11 06:35 PM

Interesting thread and to the OP.

But I'm curious, to those that do these modifications for a living or whatever, what price range would this kind of work (4 link back half)cost if the car was dropped off at a shop, not including rear end, brakes?

Re: building back half car - 02/13/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

Interesting thread and to the OP.

But I'm curious, to those that do these modifications for a living or whatever, what price range would this kind of work (4 link back half)cost if the car was dropped off at a shop, not including rear end, brakes?

I am not sure what the shop cost would be, but I remember reading not too long ago that a shop was charging 3-4,000 for the backhalf conversion. I think it might have been on Yellowbullet.com, but not sure what part of the country it was in. The price seems to vary a huge amount based on location (at least with the cost of Cage labor).

I am curious as well what shops would charge for the conversion alone.

Thanks for the constructive comments on the tacking. I will be doing that with the rest of the build.

R5p7: I am assuming you mean that welding vertical down is a no-no?? I thought that I read that is the way to do a vertical weld. Please advise...I don;t want to compromise penetration or strength . Also, do you weave a joint like that or straight stich? I did a slight weave on these.

Greg.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: building back half car - 02/13/11 06:12 AM

Yep, weld from the bottom up. Welding from top to bottom makes a pretty weld and its easier to do (you are not blocking your work with the mig gun), but you risk not getting good penetration. Slow the wire down a little or turn up the heat (just shy of burning through), and you won't have the puddle running all over.
Looks good so far. and take all the time you need to get it right. The few days or weeks that you save at this point will not seem worth it in when you're haveing to deal with some thing thats not set up correctly from the get go.
Brian Dunnigan

Re: building back half car - 02/13/11 05:42 PM

Quote:

R5p7: I am assuming you mean that welding vertical down is a no-no?? I thought that I read that is the way to do a vertical weld. Please advise...I don;t want to compromise penetration or strength . Also, do you weave a joint like that or straight stich? I did a slight weave on these.

Greg.

Yes Vertical down welding is a big no no on structural components. If you are doing light sheetmetal work it is applicable, but with something your life is relying on, I'd keep it all vert up.

As stated above you can turn the wire down a bit and be at the edge of short circuit welding almost to globular transfer that will help in keeping the puddle from building to quickly or you can turn the voltage down but you will have to move quicker.

On a vert up weld, you want to move from piece to piece and pause for a brief moment. The heavier the material the longer the pause. On thick steel 3/4" and up you can expect to pause til the count of 3. On this this stuff I'd say maybe the count of 1. Get a couple practice pieces of steel the same thickness to practice with. You'll get the hang of it.

Once you get the hang of it you won't need to count in your head anymore you'll be able to read the puddle and know when to move...

Re: building back half car - 02/14/11 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg.

Yes Vertical down welding is a big no no on structural components. If you are doing light sheetmetal work it is applicable, but with something your life is relying on, I'd keep it all vert up.

As stated above you can turn the wire down a bit and be at the edge of short circuit welding almost to globular transfer that will help in keeping the puddle from building to quickly or you can turn the voltage down but you will have to move quicker.

On a vert up weld, you want to move from piece to piece and pause for a brief moment. The heavier the material the longer the pause. On thick steel 3/4" and up you can expect to pause til the count of 3. On this this stuff I'd say maybe the count of 1. Get a couple practice pieces of steel the same thickness to practice with. You'll get the hang of it.

Once you get the hang of it you won't need to count in your head anymore you'll be able to read the puddle and know when to move...

Thanks for the advice R5P7. I will follow your words. Is there anything I need to do for the welds I ran vert. down? Or they will be o.k. ? Also, I could slow the wire speed down some or (did you mean)turn the heat "UP"? You stated "down" but maybe that was not what you meant??

Thanks,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/15/11 05:24 PM

It should be, turn the wire and heat down not "or". Since the vert up is a slower process it has time to dig in and fill at lower heat and slower filler material. It will take a little practice to dial the welder in, once you get it dialed in write the settings down somewhere so you always have them.

When changing from flat to vert the heat needs to be turned down. Overhead you can still run the same settings as flat but you gotta move

For the most part the E70 series wire I'm assuming you're using can weld pretty decent in all positions.

Edit....

I looked at your pics again. The verts on the plate should be fine since you were burning edge of the material. But the verts on the tube I'd hit with the grinder and redo them. Just for the simple fact that when you were going down the puddle doesn't have enough time to get into the joint. I'm willing to bet money that some of that joint is untouched, it's just the edges of the weld that are actually fused.

Now there are gonna be guys that have done vert downs and they are fine with that and their cars are holding together and have no problems.

Vibration can wreak havoc on poor welds and where its not properly fused in joints is where the crack will start. Then it's only a matter of time before the whole part fails.

Re: building back half car - 02/16/11 05:03 AM

Quote:

It should be, turn the wire and heat down not "or". Since the vert up is a slower process it has time to dig in and fill at lower heat and slower filler material. It will take a little practice to dial the welder in, once you get it dialed in write the settings down somewhere so you always have them.

When changing from flat to vert the heat needs to be turned down. Overhead you can still run the same settings as flat but you gotta move

For the most part the E70 series wire I'm assuming you're using can weld pretty decent in all positions.

Edit....

I looked at your pics again. The verts on the plate should be fine since you were burning edge of the material. But the verts on the tube I'd hit with the grinder and redo them. Just for the simple fact that when you were going down the puddle doesn't have enough time to get into the joint. I'm willing to bet money that some of that joint is untouched, it's just the edges of the weld that are actually fused.

Now there are gonna be guys that have done vert downs and they are fine with that and their cars are holding together and have no problems.

Vibration can wreak havoc on poor welds and where its not properly fused in joints is where the crack will start. Then it's only a matter of time before the whole part fails.

Thanks a ton for the guidance. I am going to take your advice and grind down the verts on the tubes and re-weld them the way you said. Once I practice on some extra tubes to get the settings right, I'll use those to reweld them.

On a joint like that, do you weave back and forth as you move up, or just in the middle and straight up .

Thanks again,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/16/11 09:16 PM

Yeah you will want to do a weave from one piece to the other pausing briefly to let it fill a bit.

It's hard to explain without being able to show someone, but once you start practicing you'll see. if you go to fast the sides of the weld will be cold lap, if you go to slow obviously it will fall out. When you get the welder set right and figure out travel speed the edges of the weld will flow into the base metal like your vert downs.

Re: building back half car - 02/17/11 07:21 AM

Quote:

Yeah you will want to do a weave from one piece to the other pausing briefly to let it fill a bit.

It's hard to explain without being able to show someone, but once you start practicing you'll see. if you go to fast the sides of the weld will be cold lap, if you go to slow obviously it will fall out. When you get the welder set right and figure out travel speed the edges of the weld will flow into the base metal like your vert downs.

Thanks again. I was busy tonite notching out the second frame rail for fitment. It is done and I will practice my vert-ups tomorrow night. When I am comfortable with them, I will weld them up. I mocked up the rear sheetmetal and if I place the rails back where I had them in, It will all line up great. I will double check this before I final weld the rails in.

No pictures yet...but soon.
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/21/11 03:50 AM

Well, I got some more work done tonight. I installed the rear crossmember and the shock crossmember. I checked all measurements again and everything fits up good. Here.s what it looks like now:

Vert-up this time. Not pretty, but I think good penetration. I'll take any advice.

These are some vertical-up welds practiced on 1/8" inside 90deg, and 16 ga inside 90 deg steel. Does not look great, but I put it in a press to test for destruction and it looks to have held up. No breakage at the welds and the steel bent around them.

Thanks for looking,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/21/11 04:07 AM

Looks like your coming along fine with your project. Is the cage next or sheet metal to make it look like a car again?

Re: building back half car - 02/21/11 04:24 AM

Quote:

Looks like your coming along fine with your project. Is the cage next or sheet metal to make it look like a car again?

Thanks, the next step is to put on the sheetmetal and tie the rear frame rails into the valence xmember. It was mocked up and fitted. Just need to clecko the panels back on, and weld the crossmember to rails. Then I need to save a little more for the cage bars, and 4 link ends (man they are expensive. $450 for set of 8). I need to finish up little loose ends between now and next month until my next round of UPS deliveries.

Greg.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: building back half car - 02/23/11 05:59 AM

Keep the pictures coming, This is better than a magazine story.
the only advice would be to install the wheel tubs higher then you think so you can go lower in the rear without any problems. and or bigger tires if you want.

Good luck!

Re: building back half car - 02/23/11 06:03 AM

More progress tonight.

I put on the sheetmetal to once again fine tune the panels and index them for easy final installation. It is coming together...and the panels were a little easier than I expected. Certainly not just bolt them on and go. Definitely a ton of move them this way and that way to get them all lined up. But, no big surprises. Only thing is I might have to trim the rocker (horizontal area) adjacent to where it spots to the pinch weld. It is a little to wide and it is kicking the lower quarter area out to far to line up with the door and forward rocker. I guess to be expected. AMD stuff is great in general.

Here are some pics before they come off again for other finishing items before they go on for good.

More later on. Thanks for looking,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/23/11 06:08 AM

Quote:

Keep the pictures coming, This is better than a magazine story.
the only advice would be to install the wheel tubs higher then you think so you can go lower in the rear without any problems. and or bigger tires if you want.

Good luck!

I am going with the 40" tubs and I am going to install them as high as the rear filler panel area will allow me to. I should have about 4 " clearance and I am running a 32"X 16 wide slick.

Thanks for the advice,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/23/11 06:18 AM

First off I didn't know your car was a Charger, second , boy what a difference a day makes, keep us up dated with the pictures.

Posted By: dvw

Re: building back half car - 02/23/11 09:06 PM

Just a heads up. If your going to have a hinnged deck lid. Check hinge clearance to the tubs when the trunk is shut. A freind just tubbed his 62 dart and forgot to check. He had to shorten the hinges. Great looking build. Nice looking welds as well. Keep practicing the verticals. Little adjustments to speed and welder settings and they'll look like your others.
Doug

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

Just a heads up. If your going to have a hinnged deck lid. Check hinge clearance to the tubs when the trunk is shut. A freind just tubbed his 62 dart and forgot to check. He had to shorten the hinges. Great looking build. Nice looking welds as well. Keep practicing the verticals. Little adjustments to speed and welder settings and they'll look like your others.
Doug

Thanks Doug. I am going with a fiberglass lid and it will be pinned. Thanks for the heads up. I hope to practice a few more nights before I attempt more vertical welds. I'll post the results here.

I just ordered the deck filler and trunk gutters today, so it will be a few days at least before they go on to finalize the fit. So far, everything is really lining up nice. Only thing is I do have to narrow the horizontal portion of the rocker. They are just too wide to fit well. I guess it's a tolerence issue. I need to take off maybe .050-.060".

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:16 AM

What size wire are you using in your mig?...and is it a 110 or 220 machine?.....what type of gas?
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:20 AM

Those frame rails have some serious arch to them. Going to take some long shocks... I thought I was nuts for fixing my RoadRunner. It's looking good though. Do you have AMD on speed dial?

Jeff

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:26 AM

Quote:

What size wire are you using in your mig?...and is it a 110 or 220 machine?.....what type of gas?

I'm using .035" with 75/25 argon/co. It is a MM251 run on 220V. I think I had the setting on 16.5 with 250 wire speed (recommended for the rail thickness). I did some practice cutting it down to 215, and it was better, but still not like my horizontal welds. I will experiment with maybe 180 wirespeed with same voltage and see how that works.

I was using the inverted "V" pattern, but need to get better OP control I guess. Practice, practice.

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm using .035" with 75/25 argon/co. It is a MM251 run on 220V. I think I had the setting on 16.5 with 250 wire speed (recommended for the rail thickness). I did some practice cutting it down to 215, and it was better, but still not like my horizontal welds. I will experiment with maybe 180 wirespeed with same voltage and see how that works.

I was using the inverted "V" pattern, but need to get better OP control I guess. Practice, practice.

Greg.

what PSI are you running the gas at? Also you might go to an .030 wire.... the smaller wire helps control peaking and puddling. .035 is more for 1/4" and up.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Those frame rails have some serious arch to them. Going to take some long shocks... I thought I was nuts for fixing my RoadRunner. It's looking good though. Do you have AMD on speed dial?

Jeff

Those are Chassisworks 4 link rails. THey take 16.5" shocks I think. I like your style... Road runner and stickshift. I have a Jerico ready and waiting to go in this Charger...Can't wait.

I am going to do this car to 25.5 , so I have alot of work ahead of me. I would love to see pics of your build. You do nice work.

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Greg.

what PSI are you running the gas at? Also you might go to an .030 wire.... the smaller wire helps control peaking and puddling. .035 is more for 1/4" and up.

It is set at 25psi. You are right about the wire. I didn't have any .030" spools, but I should pick up a spool. Thanks for the advice.

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg.

No "V" when doing vert up. Just zig zag back and forth. Pretty much straight across and just a hair up from where you were on the previous pass.

I hope you understand what I am saying. I'll try to draw a picture.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Greg.

No "V" when doing vert up. Just zig zag back and forth. Pretty much straight across and just a hair up from where you were on the previous pass.

Think of it like the conductor of an ochestra.....waving his wand back and forth in an arc.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Greg.

I understand exactly what you mean. I saw a video from "welding tips and tricks" and the guy did the inv. V and the weld looked better than my horiz welds. He said it penetrates the corner very good with that pattern, so I tried it.

I'll try going straight across like you say. I think I need to climb up more slowly. I have to just stay in the front of the puddle, and I might be pulling away to much. Maybe that;s why my weld looks uneven and ,well, "Crappy"

I'll let you know how some more practice works. Thanks.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:45 AM

My Road Runner has pretty much been on the back burner until it warms up. No heat in my garage

I'm taking a week off in May to do nothing but work on it. I should be able to get the cage welded in, wheel tubs, and trunk installed, then it will get put on the rotisserie.

So what wheel, color combo is the Charger going to get when it's done?

Jeff

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:47 AM

This is the basic idea. In every corner just pause for a brief moment so the puddle flows into the previous pass.

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:52 AM

Quote:

My Road Runner has pretty much been on the back burner until it warms up. No heat in my garage

I'm taking a week off in May to do nothing but work on it. I should be able to get the cage welded in, wheel tubs, and trunk installed, then it will get put on the rotisserie.

Jeff

It is going to be black (another black charger around...surprise surprise) and I have the Weld Prostars 15 X 15. I am using a M/T 32 X 16 slick.

What about your road runner? What color/ combo?

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 12:54 AM

Quote:

This is the basic idea. In every corner just pause for a brief moment so the puddle flows into the previous pass.

Thanks for that picture. I'll try it out with different lower speeds. I think I need to mess with the speed more and just get more practice.

Thank you

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

It is going to be black (another black charger around...surprise surprise) and I have the Weld Prostars 15 X 15. I am using a M/T 32 X 16 slick.

What about your road runner? What color/ combo?

Car be be painted the original EE1 Dark blue, and 2 tone blue interior, just like when it was new. Going old school on the wheels.

No better color then black for a 68 Charger. Installing a Jerico is even better.

Jeff
Posted By: tboomer

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 03:40 PM

Jeff...Do you do your own painting,too??

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 03:43 PM

yup.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 03:44 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: building back half car - 02/24/11 04:39 PM

Quote:

Looks like you pretty much have clearance for about anything you want to put about anywhere you want to put it!! What are you going to use for a car to attach everything to?? Just kidding. I am not trying to offend you,,,I just think that I would be sort of 'intimidated' by the project every time I went into the garage. I have gotten into some big jobs like this in the past, but, don't think I will live long enough to do one like this now. Good luck and keep us posted with pics.

Gotta' feel GOOD getting this far along ...Looking good!! Keep at it

Re: building back half car - 02/27/11 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gotta' feel GOOD getting this far along ...Looking good!! Keep at it

Thanks. I took some time and ground down all four vertical welds on the front area of the crossmember. Actually, I ground 2 of them down twice because I still didn't like the way they looked. I think I am starting to get the hang of it somewhat. I played around alot with the wirespeed and I might leave these as is. Here is what they look like. I know they don;t look great , but I feel they are strong.

I started to fine tune the fit of the quarters and tailpanel, and I am getting the filler panel and trunk gutters in on Monday. I am also looking at parachute mounts so that I can install the mount before the rear valence is final welded in.

More to come,
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 02/27/11 03:45 AM

Greg, the third pic down is looking pretty good from where you started. Looks like you are getting the hang of it and a feel for vert up. That is the hardest weld to do besides a 6G IMO...

Keep it up you'll get it down, I can tell

Re: building back half car - 02/27/11 03:57 AM

Quote:

Greg, the third pic down is looking pretty good from where you started. Looks like you are getting the hang of it and a feel for vert up. That is the hardest weld to do besides a 6G IMO...

Keep it up you'll get it down, I can tell

Thanks for the confidence. You've really helped me out alot. Would you leave these as be, or would you ground them down again and do them over again? I really slowed it down alot and feel they are pretty sound welds. You have the experience though. What do you think I sould do?

Re: building back half car - 02/27/11 04:23 AM

No more grinding..

If you keep welding and grinding you will effectively weaken the material by reheating it and embedding impurities from the grinder into the steel and crystalizing the steel changing the molecular structure. Really just making the metal brittle is what I'm saying

The only real part that concerns me is in the first picture 3/4" down from the seam you have some cold lap/roll and a crack could start from here.

The other thing that I see an issue with is the bottom of your frame rails hang below the cross member. I feel to make this a sound weld it should have been cut .25" shorter than the bottom of the cross member and boxed in so it could be welded %100.

Will it be a problem???? Probably not, but a crack could start from the bottom and work it's way up.

You could probably just take a 9" and a blue wheel and cut it free hand pretty easy. Just take care not to gouge the cross member. Then box the end in and practice your overheads

Re: building back half car - 02/27/11 05:03 AM

Quote:

No more grinding..

If you keep welding and grinding you will effectively weaken the material by reheating it and embedding impurities from the grinder into the steel and crystalizing the steel changing the molecular structure. Really just making the metal brittle is what I'm saying

The only real part that concerns me is in the first picture 3/4" down from the seam you have some cold lap/roll and a crack could start from here.

The other thing that I see an issue with is the bottom of your frame rails hang below the cross member. I feel to make this a sound weld it should have been cut .25" shorter than the bottom of the cross member and boxed in so it could be welded %100.

Will it be a problem???? Probably not, but a crack could start from the bottom and work it's way up.

You could probably just take a 9" and a blue wheel and cut it free hand pretty easy. Just take care not to gouge the cross member. Then box the end in and practice your overheads

Thanks for the advice. The bottoms were intentionally left longer because I have to install a frame connector that buts up against the vertical part of the rail and goes forward to the tranny crossmember. Once that is tacked in, I will trim it flush and box it in all the way to the 4 link brackets.

Thanks again for the help...I'll keep practicing those welds on scrap.

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 04/06/11 04:19 AM

Even though I still have so much work ahead and didn't get much accomplished since last post, I am pretty psyched to see the tires and rims mocked up in the exact ride height postition. Now I can take more exact measurements relating to the sheetmetal /tub work needed. I am ready to order the Glasstek doors and deck lid so I can wrap up the final install of the sheetmetal. Then I can continue with the tub work and main floor/subframes.

Here are a few pictures:

More to follow!
Greg.

Re: building back half car - 04/06/11 04:57 AM

Damn dude! you are just flying along. looks killer.

Re: building back half car - 04/07/11 07:21 PM

Quote:

Damn dude! you are just flying along. looks killer.

Thanks alot,Superfreak. Much appreciated.

Greg.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: building back half car - 04/07/11 08:22 PM

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. Car is looking great and that stance is going to be KILLER!
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: building back half car - 04/08/11 02:35 PM

Looks awesome!

Re: building back half car - 04/09/11 03:58 AM

Thanks very much for the comps. Your help has definitely allowed me to get this far.

Greg.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: building back half car - 04/09/11 09:15 AM

Wow that looks great!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: building back half car - 04/09/11 07:23 PM

Wow. That looks super nice. Great thread too.

Re: building back half car - 04/09/11 08:42 PM

Those quarters look great... where did you get them...
I did quarters on a 70 Charger some time back and I had
3 times the amount of time into them to look nice as
I did to hang them

Re: building back half car - 04/10/11 06:32 AM

Quote:

Those quarters look great... where did you get them...
I did quarters on a 70 Charger some time back and I had
3 times the amount of time into them to look nice as
I did to hang them

These are AMD Quarters. They are really super nice. They do bolt up very well with hardly any massaging. NOT perfect, but better than anything we could have hoped for.

Definitely worth the extra $

Thanks,
Greg.,
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: building back half car - 04/10/11 11:38 AM

The first time I opened this thread, I wasn't expecting to see the entire back half of the car missing! That would be a scary project for most of us to embark on. Kudo's!
Don't worry too much about how pretty the welds look. I've seen pretty welds fail.
Posted By: positivenoise

Re: building back half car - 04/13/11 06:09 PM

Wow, I came across this thread. You are doing a great job. The car is looking super. My question is what do you do for a living? If you are not a welder, bodyman, or chassis builder, again Wow, hats off to you.Keep the pictures coming. You are doing exactly what I would love to do to my car.
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: building back half car - 04/13/11 11:05 PM

Looks good.Keep up the good work.

Re: building back half car - 04/14/11 05:04 AM

Quote:

Wow, I came across this thread. You are doing a great job. The car is looking super. My question is what do you do for a living? If you are not a welder, bodyman, or chassis builder, again Wow, hats off to you.Keep the pictures coming. You are doing exactly what I would love to do to my car.

Thanks very much. I am not a welder or chassis man by trade. I am not even involved with automobiles for work. It just helps that I try to spend almost every waking minute learning and reading about building cars. It is just a love. I never attempted anything like this (at this level). I can tell you that you can do it if you really want to. You just go as slow as you need and measure eveything 3 times to make sure it all goes right. I have been making mistakes, but I just correct and adjust my plans as I go.

It does help that I do have some experience with body and paint work on the side. But that does nothing for me with welding and chassiswork building.

What car would you like to do and how far would you like to go. Some details would be great.

Greg.

Re: building back half car - 04/14/11 01:19 PM

quote]
Quote:

Thanks very much. I am not a welder or chassis man by trade. I am not even involved with automobiles for work. It just helps that I try to spend almost every waking minute learning and reading about building cars. It is just a love. I never attempted anything like this (at this level). I can tell you that you can do it if you really want to. You just go as slow as you need and measure eveything 3 times to make sure it all goes right. I have been making mistakes, but I just correct and adjust my plans as I go.

It does help that I do have some experience with body and paint work on the side. But that does nothing for me with welding and chassiswork building.

What car would you like to do and how far would you like to go. Some details would be great.

Greg.

Greg, my car is a 70 Cuda. It has been raced since the late 70s but I have owned it since 86. The previous owner had cut the rear fenders and flared them a bit to fit tires.It is not that extreme but I really want to make it right someday. I wish I had some pictures of the old school roll bar it had in it. I put a cage and coil overs in the rear around 2003.Maybe seeing your work will inspire me. Also where abouts in NY are you? Ever go to LVD in the eastern part? Keep up the great work.[
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: building back half car - 04/14/11 02:48 PM

thats some awesome work...

I was going to add and show what I did...but I can see there's no need...

Re: building back half car - 04/15/11 05:01 AM

Quote:

quote]
Quote:

Greg.

Greg, my car is a 70 Cuda. It has been raced since the late 70s but I have owned it since 86. The previous owner had cut the rear fenders and flared them a bit to fit tires.It is not that extreme but I really want to make it right someday. I wish I had some pictures of the old school roll bar it had in it. I put a cage and coil overs in the rear around 2003.Maybe seeing your work will inspire me. Also where abouts in NY are you? Ever go to LVD in the eastern part? Keep up the great work.[

I love the Cuda also...that would be a real cool car to do up. This is the place to learn alot. I certainly have and will continue to. These guys on here a true builders, racers, and enthusiasts.

I am on Long Island. Where is LVD?

Re: building back half car - 04/15/11 05:11 AM

Quote:

thats some awesome work...

I was going to add and show what I did...but I can see there's no need...

Thanks very much. I would love to see some pictures of you build if you would.

Greg.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: building back half car - 04/15/11 12:01 PM

here you go Greg..
I havent worked on it in at least 4years or more, however in a few weeks I'm going to move it back into the garage and finish it up..

I'll ask this,..I have a complete AlterKtion front assembly...my thoughts were to sell this off and install a tubular straight axle with parallel leafs...like they did on the early A/FX...gassers of the erra...what do you think?

here is a link to my pics...thanks Greg..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/1963%20Dodge/

Re: building back half car - 04/18/11 02:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

quote]
Quote:

Greg.

I love the Cuda also...that would be a real cool car to do up. This is the place to learn alot. I certainly have and will continue to. These guys on here a true builders, racers, and enthusiasts.

I am on Long Island. Where is LVD?

Lebenon Valley Dragway. Its on Rt 20 between Albany and the MA line.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: building back half car - 04/20/11 12:24 AM

How is it going, any new pictures?

Re: building back half car - 04/20/11 04:11 AM

Quote:

How is it going, any new pictures?

Thanks for the pics Smokinwoody. Great build and nice work. I'd like to see the progress as you complete it. Keep up the great work. Your inital pics helped me along at the beginning stages of my build. Thanks.

Things have slowed down as I mentioned they would. I am just waiting for cash each month so I can order the parts as I make the money. Too many family expenses right now and I am trying to tuck away a few hundred dollars each month to order parts...not as easy as I planned.

I am ordering the tubs and metal kit this week, so as soon as I get them in, I should have some more pictures up.

Thanks for the interest guys,
Greg.
© 2024 Moparts Forums