Quote:

R5p7: I am assuming you mean that welding vertical down is a no-no?? I thought that I read that is the way to do a vertical weld. Please advise...I don;t want to compromise penetration or strength . Also, do you weave a joint like that or straight stich? I did a slight weave on these.

Greg.

Yes Vertical down welding is a big no no on structural components. If you are doing light sheetmetal work it is applicable, but with something your life is relying on, I'd keep it all vert up.

As stated above you can turn the wire down a bit and be at the edge of short circuit welding almost to globular transfer that will help in keeping the puddle from building to quickly or you can turn the voltage down but you will have to move quicker.

On a vert up weld, you want to move from piece to piece and pause for a brief moment. The heavier the material the longer the pause. On thick steel 3/4" and up you can expect to pause til the count of 3. On this this stuff I'd say maybe the count of 1. Get a couple practice pieces of steel the same thickness to practice with. You'll get the hang of it.

Once you get the hang of it you won't need to count in your head anymore you'll be able to read the puddle and know when to move...

Last edited by R5P7Duster; 02/13/11 04:52 PM.

SDG Motorsports
Hellcat Demon and Redeye Supercharger CNC Porting
https://www.sdgmotorsports.com/