Quote:

Here is my take on it...its a restamp. Why, whell, the stamping of the blocks and engines were done by a machine that had wheels where you set the number/letter combination. So you would set 0B12345 and stamp the engine and transmission. Then set to 0B12346 and do the next (assuming sequential VIN for this argument sake). So if the person setting the wheels dropped the third digit slightly (say the "1" was a little lower, then the same error would be in both places. Also, since the wheels were in a line, all the letters should be lined up. Thes are all over the place. I have seen the whole stampings crooked, but the relative spacing and alignment is always the same. This is also why you see transposed numbers show up in both places usually. Lastly, the font is off. I am no expert, but have seen a few VIN stampings, and know that that font is not right. Just my

Ok, I am going to throw all this out the window. I cleaned out the garage and looked at the three blocks and two transmissions I have. The one four speed shows a similar font and crooked alignment like your engine stamp. The transmission has been with me since '84 so I doubt it was restamped. The VINS all look like the examples given here with repsect to font, alignment and depth of pad machining (all of mine look to be original). The auto transmission stamping looks like VIN stamping. So who knows.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1