Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By Nick Stevanovski
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Nick,

You are filling in the blanks for the variables that affect your specific issue.

Like this...

You want 550hp
You don't want to spin the motor past 6000

Those two specifics dictate a cubic inch requirement that is likely higher than 440...likely.

Now you add in the requirement that it be a stump puller (my words) off idle

Now your REALLY making things difficult, if not impossible.

Does that make sense?

But strokers greatly increase low end torque correct? So its very difficult to have a good street driving 550 hp 440?

Well "good street driving" is kinda vague and people define it differently, but you seem to be caught up in the fact that a performance cam won't pull like a freight train from 1000 rpm. It won't. But it's not a big deal, at least the way I define "good street driving".

When it comes to camshaft selection, IF max RPM is a big factor for you (that's OK...MAX RPM is a big factor for many people and many engines!!!!!). Then a good selection technique is to select a cam with a max powerband that matches your max expected RPM.

After all....why select a cam that's good to 6500 when you never expect to use it?

The Lunati 60303 has a max powerband of about 6000, it's therefore a reasonable choice for you BASED ON MAX RPM.

Now with that comes a minimum.....call it 2000. You have to live with it (at least in terms of THIS cam), but a powerband that starts at 2000 is pretty damn good, for a performance cam.

If you select a cam that's lower....you're rapidly entering the realm of low-PO / stock cams and you simply are NOT going to make big power numbers.

For example, you might find a cam whose powerband starts at 1500, but it's not going to make big power at 6000, and it's not going to reach your 550 hp goal.

I think we need to rewind hahah, i didnt mean it would pull at low rpm, i meant itd be easier at a stoplight to go in everyday driving. Thats what i need to learn about cam rpm ranges. With a 2500-6500 cam would i need to slip the clutch at a higher rpm than a smaller cam? Sorry, i wasnt talking about launching, i meant in everyday driving. Do bigger cams require more rpm to move from a stop?