Originally Posted By 71rm23
Originally Posted By fuelishnsilly
I've considered doing just that DaveRS23, however, I learned while in auto shop, my friend tried doing a "customization" like that to his vehicle and when there was a problem, he alone knew what parts he used but the place he brought his car too did not. I'd rather stick to the stock parts as this way if it is something that I can not fix, at least who or wherever I bring it to won't have to worry about this part came from such and such a car. The only way I want to upgrade something is with parts that were still available to this car during its production. If I do decide to upgrade to disc brakes, I'll probably locate the optional disc brake set up for it. There is a guy in NJ a couple towns over from me who had a complete set for sale a while ago. Right now I just want to focus on getting it safe and on the road again.

Thank you for mentioning DOT 5 fluid. I did consider that too, however, the performance parts store by me only sells it by the gallon. All that I have seen at local general auto parts stores is DOT 3 and 4. I have not seen any place yet that sells pints or quarts of DOT 5. Should I get a leak while I am out at a show, I wouldn't be able to either fix it there or on the road someplace. I might be able to get the part that failed but trying replace the DOT 5 is next to impossible.

Sam, the suggestions that DaveRS23 gave is something that you NEED to reconsider. Either do it now while you have it apart or chances are you'll end up doing it later and you might kick yourself in the rear for not doing it while the front is apart. Parts are readily available with the brake parts and with DOT5 in small quantities. If you live in a remote area (sticks) you can still get parts. Internet is helpful for forums and for finding parts. Not trying to be smart a**, just saying

my one buddy has a 70 super bee. as it has manual brakes, i suggested a disc swap almost from the time he got it almost 30years ago. shortly after he got it on the road, he started to have "pulling" problems with it when braking, but stubbornly, lived with it. coming back from a show one time, the one front wheel locked up. after sitting along the road for a while, he got it worked loose, so he started for home. after a few more stops because the front wheels would become hot due to dragging brakes, he made it home. when i took it apart, the linings were cooked and the springs showed heat related coloring. i suggested the disc swap again, but no. however, he did pop for wheel cylinders and new front hoses as well as springs and linings. got NAPA's best. then it was squeeks, pulling again, and it really didn't stop very well. i come to find out he didn't turn the drums. so off to get that done. still the same thing. now, at this time, he had the same amount of money [or very close to it] in it as he would have had if he swapped to discs, and it STILL DIDN'T STOP VERY GOOD ! then, he finally changed over to discs at my firm insistence. "WOW ! i can't believe how this thing stops now ! i should have listened to you long ago !" you have been given very good advice on the disc conversion, and now is the best time to change over when you already have it apart. since you are changing out the lines and hoses anyway, a disc brake hose is not any more [maybe a buck or 2 at the most] expensive than a drum hose, and you certainly won't re-use your dot5 fluid over when [not if,when] you swap over at a later date. repeat : now is the time ! you will be GLAD you did. there is no "customization" involved, and you aren't doing anything that can't be undone in the future. if you are afraid about not knowing what parts you used, keep notes of the part numbers of the components, or just write down the model and year of the complete factory setup you end up using. there is a reason all vehicles use disc brakes on the front wheels now, and nobody will give you any grief for this important safety change over. just think, it could amount to "boy, that was close" as opposed to "where am i going to get some fenders and a hood ?"
beer