Sam,
Like what has been said, determine what you want for an end result and let us know. We can try and steer you in the right direction to accomplish your goal.
One thing I have found out is this is an EXPENSIVE hobby so you may have to do the car in smaller steps till you get it done to your liking.
Metals have different colors to them. Stamped steel is lighter silver them a cast steel part, etc. If you paint the items make sure they are prepaid correctly, no grease, no wax, bare metal, a good epoxy primer then paint. Taking short cuts will make you having to redo it sooner then you probably want too.

Do a search on the Liftoff Hood Playground and look in the project section. Just because you have a regular RR almost all the finishes are the same as an A12 RR.
I still say find someone around your area that has done this stuff for any help you may need. Most people will be willing to help a new hobbyist get rolling.
Here is an engine compartment photo I used off the web for guidance on my project.
David
p.s. I have heard the book mentioned above is a good source for info.

engine comp details.jpg