Originally Posted By 318 racer
First post here..
I'd like to build a 318 for drag race use. Max 8000 rpm.Would like to know what you guys would use for all parts for the build. However there are 2 items the engine must use...

Edelbrock cylinder heads

ThermoQuad carburetor.

No it's not a NHRA/IHRA engine for class racing,but would like to build along those parameters.

Cam,intake header size,crank,rods pistons,oiling system etc... what would you use?

Engine will be in a A-body Duster.

Give Bob Mazzolini a call. He raced a 318 for a long time. Cast crank, low compression, QJet, etc. I think he ran 10's in a Sebring. He was selling off that stuff last time I talked to him, not sure if he still has a pile of parts or not. I think he was using a factory cast iron head so you're ahead of the game there.

From what I recall, Bob's car weighed 3200 lbs and ran 10.30's so he was making roughly 570 hp. That was a class car, GT/IA or something like that. He was 9:1 compression and iron heads so if you switch to aluminum heads and take the compression to 13:1 or so you should be able to get by with much less expensive headwork. Cam might be a little different due to the higher compression ratio but most everything else would be the same.

Last edited by AndyF; 03/29/16 04:45 PM.