Originally Posted By 318 racer
I'm not building a GT engine. Sure I'd like to,but the wallet and life in general says no.

I'm using what I have,and buying what I dont.

I'm going to build it. If I go 10.90's I'll dance the 2 step boogie.

I'll be very honest..part of the reason too is my first car was a 318 Duster. I did the usual bolt on's and it ran 14.20's. What I liked was that those I beat,were surprised and embarassed they got beat by a 318.

I think most on here are just not only trying to keep your costs down but trying to help you get more bang for your buck. If you keep an open mind and grab parts for the right price 10.50's can be had on a budget. The last block (340), Scat rods, Diamond pistons, Scat cast crank (4" stroker), cam and lifters, timing chain and gears, new rings, and Milidon oil pan and pick-up cost me 1350 dollars. Its all machined and balanced ready to assemble. Deals are out there and I promise you this one will be faster than 10.50's. Lets see how much that 318 costs to run the same. Same with heads. I've found sets of Edelbrock heads (some on this site) for 500-800 dollars per pair. Be ready for when the deal comes strolling by.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time