What is performance goal?? Very very few small blocks need or will be happy at 8000 just no need Stock Edelbrocks are held back by pushrod pinch that is why Indy relocated the shaft position using big block rockers thus giving correct offset--opening up the pinch and allowing bigger springs which are the real issue with that head and that kind of RPM
A high winding 318 may be fun but would still be outclassed by a normal 408 turning 6500
1/8th or 1/4?
Think of the 340 W2 combos they ran back in the day with tunnel rams and 8000 plus They ate bearings -- you should be able to have MUCH lighter parts than they had thus helping a ton--The oil pan they used was DEEP--like 12 qt deep and used the old Milodon cover and two pick ups--all band aids you really need dry sump to make it live--bushed lifter bores a must and for that expense right there you can do the stroker
Main thing that will keep you busy is head gaskets--That kind of RPM requires a cam that needs mucho compression--and big compression on a 10 head bolt small block keeps you busy--I always ran clear tube from the evacs so when I saw vapor in the tube I knew it was head gasket time before it failed--I had good luck with more rod bearing clearance in high RPM small blocks
Belt drive--high dollar lifters--etc
Valve springs are the real limiting factor--with that goal bigger is really better and I would think titanium valves an absolute must--
All this if you want to make seriuos power--if you just want to glance off 8000 then no big deal