I am happy you got this fixed--I am going to try it on my next build--Thing is I just can't get past the fact that we built way over 100 BB Mopars over the years and NEVER a leak then all of a sudden last few years whammo! I believe that it is because of inferior offshore produced seals--I put so many together so many ways with every kind of block, crank etc over the years with the good old Fel Pro then they changed that darn seal! We ( me , Todd M and 2 other well known builders in NC) swapped to the Superformance red seal--All 4 of us went a long while with NO leaks--then..He swapped to a black seal ( I would guess Victor) and said NO DIFF--kept on charging big $$ for it --OK, I don't care as long as it works then...all 4 of us have had leak issues again! I am NOT happy with that outfit!
I have ordered all 3 part numbers of FelPro, a Mr Gasket, and Victor rep is sending samples to our shop next week, I also have a seal from a fresh new Sealed Power gasket set and have been looking for any older stock seals--I plan to lay them all out, study them, measure them and see what is going on.
I ask every engine shop manager I see what they do and keep notes--I was surprised last week when big reman shop told me about a string of trouble they had and when it was finally fixed they found that the lube a white lithium grease type they had been using was the culprit--Fel Pro said wrong lube is #1 problem so what the heck is the correct lube??? I now use OIL only--had always just used assem lube like the red or some STP/assem lube mix I keep in an oil can etc I have never used a grease type product.
I really appreciate the contributions to this thread by the many skilled dedicated builders but feel like there is STILL more than meets the eye here and that seal quality or lack of is a big part of it--
Like everything else in this USA --sourced from cheapo place so that corps make $$ NO care at all about us in the field
Just my two cents

Last edited by crabman173; 06/20/15 04:57 PM.