Quote:

Quote:

I'm not buying the heims rationalization. I don't like mid unsupported bends in tubing, I don't like tube braces that do not share a node at their termination, I don't see why the relatively thin sheet metal inner fender needs support 4+" above a the nearest suspension point, I don't know how much stiffness an attachment to the firewall provides mid center panel, and I haven't needed to see any numbers/calcs/testing to make the above claims. Haven't heard that torque boxes are little improvement before, which I agree with totally and have postulated for years once frame connectors are installed. But people like to add stuff under the heading "it can't hurt".

Tell that to tube and fabric aircraft manufacturers or sheetmetal aircraft builders who use tubing engine mounts, they attach tubing to sheetmetal that is only .032-.040 thick and it holds up to way more torsional stresses from a propeller or turbine, centrifugal force from a propeller on a tubing engine mount that is .058 thick is tremendous on a 520 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. Think of the power pulse from a 5.5" diameter piston. Granted its only 2700 rpms but it also puts out about 800 ftlbs of torque in a 260 hp engine. Put a few bends in the sheetmetal where the mount bolts to it and its rigid. Tim

I think You missed the point, not sure your example is valid, torsional stresses from suspension loads when you talking as one member pointed out 9800lbs per degree are a lot higher then your example. Not sure anybody drops the clutch at 5K on an airplane. The problem with the pictured solution is for one, where the brace connects to the firewall, I bet one can almost by hand bend the sheet metal, but it the brace was moved up only say 4"?, it would near a 90 degree bend and be magnitudes stiffer. Nobody sees this? On the shock tower mount ends the reverse is trus, they are mounted near the bend in the inner fender, which is great if one wants to prevent a fender from flexing/moving, but if the real objective is to firm up the nearby upper control arm suspension points, a thin flat piece of sheet metal connecting the two ain't gonna make it happen. What about my other points, they stand valid by default?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.