by the way AARCUDA, you still havent educated me why the article said that by disconnecting the battery with the engine running, can cause charging system failure.

I know how it happens, you dont. First you have to know that the alternator voltage increases!!

when youu know that, then you will be able to keep participating in this discussion.

Try that, before you answer, tell me why the arcticle says it can damage the charging system.

also tell me where all the power generated into the stator goes when the output terminal is disconnected from the battery. It cant jump out anywhere easy, so what does it do?? I will tell you that the stator is attached to the rectifier with diodes in it!!! how robust are they???

wouldnt the easy way out be through the diodes ??? Have you ever had an alternator apart?

maybe when you try this on your truck, try hooking the battery back up with the car still running!! that might ensure some destruction for you to report.

keep me posted on your expierments that already have proven results from a very very long time ago!

by the way a good discussion is healthy!
enjoy your holidays!

oops, sorry, thought of another one.

When an ignition coil builds up because the circuit has been opened, what happens to the voltage that it carries?? and what happens with that energy???

I'll give you a hint, youre best not to feel it!!. It consists of lots of volts, but very little amperage, so it wont kill you.

same thing inside the alternator! whats different about a winding inside the alternator and the one inside the ignition coil???

this is auto electrical basics.

Last edited by 5537SG; 05/26/05 07:49 PM.