Quote:

ARRRGGG! What you keep ignoring is that you are NOT DISCONNECTING the alternator field by disconnecting the battery!!! all youre doing is disconnecting the BATTERY. The field wires are still hooked up to the regulator.

the alternator PRODUCES voltage. The coil is a transformer that takes voltage and converts it. Disconnecting the battery should have absolutely no effect on the field wires on the alternator.

Im still gonna try it. heck, ive done it plenty of times before (just like stumpy says he has) and I never saw anything fry. So, now I'll put a voltmeter on my alternator and disconnect the battery. Im not afraid. I dont drive my truck until it snows anyways.

Im not ignoring anything. The whole part of it IS TO LEAVE THE FIELD ENERGIZED while the battery is disconnected! Then you have a transformer. By disconnecting the battery with the car running, the alternator still has the field energized!! Thus generates voltage that has nowhere to go!!!!! What do we know about electricity?? It takes the easiest way out!! Usually across a semi conductor of some type. The voltage will rise and rise, until it finds an escape.

If you disconnect the battery, the rest of electricaal system is subjected to this high voltage. If you just disconnect the alternator output terminal, you just subject the alternator to this high voltage.

Where do you think the power generated by the alternator goes when the field is still energized and the battery is disconnected??????????????

I'll give you a hint, you can use it to weld with!

I cant believe you guys think this is ok. A little knowledge is totally dangerous!!

just cause you got away with it before doesnt make it ok. Like I said earlier, the damage may not be immediately apparent!!

You guys really need to be educated properly in auto repair. Phone any local alternator rebuild shop and tell them the alternator you bought from them doesnt work because you disconnected the battery and the car stalled. Dont phone auto zone or whomever , phone a real rebuilder with electrical knowledge!

This is what separates real technicians from back yarders. A real tech knows the facts. I suggest you folks educate yourselves on this. This is why auto makers made it more difficult for back yarders that know eveything to work on thier products.Too many people with too little knowledge!

If you go try this on your Ramcharger, I hope you have a nice expensive stereo in there, and make sure you rev it up good and hard!