I welded a screwdriver between the + side of a battery and the fender when I shorted it out once by accident. but thats neither here nor there.

lik stumpy said and as I have been saying, the voltage regulator (and hence the alternator field) is not disconnected when the battery is removed- so no jump in voltage.

the most I'll give you is that there is an overshoot of voltage when the battery is unplugged and replugged. voltage of maybe a few volts. But no way do I see damage occurring.

what about using jumper cables??? here you attach a battery to a car with a dead battery (dead battery with no voltage is close to no battery at all) and then DISCONNECT it after it starts. so people should be blowing all there electronics using jumper cables. thanks but no thanks.

same with using a big battery charger to start a dead car. Did it lots of times, never any damage. never say 400v either- ever- unless the car hit a power line.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.