My friend I have been a dealer mechanic since 1961 so I think I do have a small bit of on the job experience. What do you do for a living? The voltage regulator maintains the steady output. It will only allow what is needed to go to the system. Removing the battery does not disable the regulator. The reason you can weld with the AMPERAGE produced is that the draw causes the regulator the allow current to flow as drawn on up to the max amperage of the alternator. Every thing you have brought up requires the regulator the be stuck wide open and that doesn't happen when you pull the battery cable. What happens is exactly the oppisite the regulator senses the lower draw and lowers the output to match. If a board fails 5 months or 5 years down the road there is no way you can prove cause and effect. BTW if voltage welds why aren't your battery cables being welded now. The reason is that there isn't a high amp draw at the battery. When you weld you are creating an intentional direct short in the system which causes the regulator to sense a draw and signal for full output. Amperage causes heat bnot voltage. If voltage caused heat every wire with power through it would be hot and lo and behold they're not. Spend some more time reading you'll get it right eventually. You are going off the deep end on this with absolutely no proof.