Quote:

I've never even ridden in a mopar that can handle as well as my wife's 90 Camry, or even our Suburban with my wife, kids and the dog in it.

Mike,

While I don't usually go for the uber large custom braking systems either due to the cost, I do take a bit of offense to your statement made above. It shows a lot of hyperbole at best, and a definite lack of knowledge and experience at worst.

I have driven a lot of old Mopars in my time, and several of them are far above the handling capabilites of a Suburban or a Camry . The torsion bar front suspension was hailed as the basis of some of the best handling American cars of their day, a fact which is still repeated by people who are surprised when they drive a properly aligned and cared for old Mopar with modern rubber on the ground.

I personally have driven such cars at triple digit speeds in emergency situations, and a '78 Monaco A38 or an AHB Fury will handle just as well as a 9C1 Caprice or the newest Crown Vic P71 with comparable rims and tires. I have also crawled into several civilian B, C, E and other size bodies which would surprise you, and if they had the heavy duty suspension option or a trailering package can be a joy to drive in a set of high speed curves. If you would care to do some research and reading on this subject, you will find many others who will tell you the same thing.

Finally, once you put some thought into setting up an old Mopar suspension correctly with just some simple modifications, you can amaze other people in just how flat one of them can corner and run through an evasive lane change scenario. As one person put it, "you have taken a two ton big block Dodge and taught it how to dance."

Suburbans and Camrys? Please.

May God bless America,

Paladin

6337303-0810LF(Rdced).jpg (173 downloads)

1971 Dodge Charger R/T
1977 Chrysler Cordoba A35
1979 Dodge Lil� Red Express
1981 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport V10