to some degree i understand what the OP is saying. i have 11" drums all the way round on the road runner, and i had the shoes radiused to the drums, and it stops really well. but i know that in an emergency situation, it isn't going to stop anything like a modern car, and i have felt the fade.

at the end of the 1/4 mile, doing 109, it was a bit of work to make the first turn off, and a couple times i just went for the second.

another story, a few years ago i got a chance to drive a new lambourghini, don't remember the model, but it was the 500hp car. i didn't get a chance to play with the handling, i wasn't all that impressed with the acceleration, but at one point on the highway i was doing about 110 or so, and jumped on the brakes to slow down for upcoming traffic, and it was mind-boggling!

it seemed like one second i was doing 110, and the next second i was doing 60. no dive, no swerve, no sway, it just felt like instantaneous deceleration! i gained a whole new respect for brakes after that.