Well, I guess it all depends on WHAT you are doing with the car. With that said for the person just out cruising, driving defensively and obeying the traffic laws "properly" maintained drum brakes should be fine. There are several factors involved:
1- being quality shoes and properly surfaced drums
2- being how well the hydraulic system is maintained, brake fluid loves moisture in the short term up to 2% of your fluid can be water in the long term if not changed at least annually can be up to 8%, now that's a lot of water to have in your system and
3- tire width. A narrow tire can allow lockup whereas a wider tire that grips the road better will tend to turn more in a harder braking situation thus alleviating some lockup.

So again if you are just a normal Sunday driver you should be fine with a drum system that is well maintained.

IF you are in situations where repeated braking is required then disc/disc or disc/drum is THE way to go. 80% of your braking power is in the front.

Through research and development disc has been proven overwhelmingly better than drum simply because they can and will dissipate heat better. Heat is your enemy.

My car has OEM disc/drum and for a normal driver I find it adequate. IF I were to road race or I lived in an area where I had to do repeated stops in traffic I would at the very least upgrade the front disc to something more modern as there capabilities of removing heat are much better.

Just my