Quote:

Quote:

Don't worry Feet's; firstly, I'm not going to be jacknifed in the middle of the road, and secondly, your little car isn't going to squash me like a grape!

for the record, I have nothing against you building your car as you like with 16" brakes if that's what you choose. The point I'm making is that you don't need that to be safe driving amongst traffic.

I guess you've never seen a travel trailer on it's side after the driver ran over the moron that cut in front of him. The really nasty part is when another car slams into the roof of the overturned pickup. That makes for a nasty mess involving the highway shut down for hours and a visit by the coroner. Needless to say, they weren't home for the holidays.

Properly set up drum brakes will feel great until you get into a car with properly set up dic brakes. Either arrangement will work for the vast majority of the muscle car crowd. For those of us with a more spirited driving style only the discs will do. That doesn't mean we're a nusiance on the highway. I do enjoy playing a bit when there's nobody around.
My daily commute has put me in situations where GOOD brakes saved my bacon. When the guy entered the freeway and hit the left lane between 15 and 20 mph while I was moving along at 65 mph things got... puckery. I was able to slow the hot rod down but couldn't see the guy's tail lights over my hood. That was close. It's also just one of the many idiots I have to deal with on the roads.

Of course I've seen trucks and trailers turned over many times; mine is a truck mounted camper not a trailer so I can't jacknife.....I was being semi faceceous about the idea that I'd be worried about your car hurting my truck which weighs 3x as much.

My friend Mark has a '62 'Vette with 11" drums on all 4 corners and I guarantee his stopping distance is shorter than many disc brake equipped SUV's and RV's that weigh 2x, 3x or more. I'm sure my 2008 ZX6R can stop quicker than your car, but it'd be silly to suggest your brakes aren't good enough or safe, right?

Ultimately we agree, you said it: " either arrangement will work for the vast majority of the musclecar crowd."

My POINT (again) is that there are many trucks, rv's and other vehicles on the road that have far longer stopping distances than a drum brake musclecar. You don't NEED 14" 4 wheel disks to be safe to drive on the road and I'm perfectly safe driving my truck and camper. If we all needed that level of braking to survive, then we should all drive new SRT-8's or 'Vettes and no truck or RV should be allowed on the public road system.

Nothing wrong with having as much brakes as you like but I strongly object to the idea that stock brakes render the car "unsafe" or the idea that the only cars that should have stock brakes are unused "trailer queens" (I'm responding to several other posters, not necessarily you on this sentiment)

Roadracing; fine, definitely get the big brakes. And as far as "spirited driving" goes; we all do it to some extent but triple digit speeds on public roads tend to get one in alot of trouble these days.

&

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]