To the OP's question;

how much brake you need depends on what you do with the car. For most people a properly set up factory set of drums would do although fade is an issue with REPEATED use (a one time panic stop is unlikely to be repeated until the brakes have cooled or high speed stops (over 60 mph) which also aren't that common in day to day driving.

A factory disk/drum setup with decent tires is more than adequate for most any non-roadracing aplication.

The huge rotor/6 piston caliper setups just aren't needed for a street driven car, but people buy them mostly cause they think they look cool.....sorta like the soccer moms in thier Rubicon Wranglers that have never been off pavement.

Another thing to consider is comparing say, the brakes on my 06 Durango is kinda misleading unless you remember that the Durango outweighs my Superbee by over 2000 lbs!

I still remember trying to slow down my brothers drum braked, 427 powered GTO from 150mph......that took awhile! my factory disk/drum equipped 442 was a lot nicer to slow down from those speeds.

I laugh when someone suggests you need 4 wheel disks to stop properly! god help you if you jamb on the brakes of your new SRT8 right in front of my (4 wheel disk equipped) Ram dually when I have my camper on! at 12,000 lbs, I'd suggest a 68 drum braked coronet will stop faster.

2 pennies,
Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]