Quote:

Dwayne,

at what point do you hit the cutoff and say these can't be fixed, or are not worth fixing? is it easier to start with a fresh unscrewed set of heads before continuing?

well...these were close to the limit, for sure. but....the customer had already paid to have them shipped to me, and they already had hardened exhaust seats installed, and i probably didnt "have" to replace the guides(this customer pretty much leaves it up to me to make those decisions, and likes knowing the stuff he gets back will be trouble free when he bolts it on. since i really didnt like the type of guide that was used, i swapped them out. that didnt really "need" to be done.)
and, its not always all that easy to come up with unmolested, virgin, uncracked 906 cores.

also, in this case....since its not a race motor where they're trying to make a bunch of power with them....as long as they were at least as good from a power standpoint as a stock head, and didnt really have any durability issues, there wasn't any reason not to use them.

for someone looking to spend some serious money on a set for like a FAST type motor.....then this set of heads would have gotten rejected for that build.
i like to start with untouched cores whenever possible for those projects.

Quote:

FAst what kind of pilots do you use tappered or straight? Those seat look alot better now thats for sure

on both my Sunnen guide and seat machine, and my Sioux seat grinding set-up, i use fixed(non adjustable) tapered pilots.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads