Originally Posted by 440sourcedotcom

This is probably more accurate. I hate a thief too, but there is such a thing as a business loss, tax write off. So there is that, or they could have just decided to eat it and move on. It may have cost more in legal fees, and travel expenses alone than what it was worth.

Yes, it was a business loss (write off.) It wasn't a big enough amount to put us out of business, but it definitely hurt. We did eat it, and move on. Nobody wants to have that kind of money stolen from them. We work hard for every dollar just like I'm sure all of you do as well. There were no "written contracts" or anything like that. Jeff (was) and we are both "handshake" kind of guys. You are only as good as your word. My opinion is that if you feel you need a written contract in order for someone to keep their promises, you shouldn't be dealing with them in the first place. We had years of successful business together that had built up mutual trust. We assumed that would continue with his brother Bob. Turns out that was an expensive mistake.

That was my second thought. If there was documentation or if they were just sent. As screwed up as the legal system is now, could have ended up his word against yours.

Would have been a tough pill to swallow. I've been burglarized, knew who did it and couldn't get anything done. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth and a little less trustful. I really hate thieves.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.