Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
How a B3 kit impacts the valve lift is dependent upon the rocker arm's dimensions & geometry. This pic shows a T&D on the left and a Hughes on the right. If you look at the respective locations & angles of the lash adjuster screws, you may understand how moving the rocker arm up and / or away from the original pedestal location can change the lift curve more on some rockers than others. It's one of those factors that you only know for sure by plotting the lift curves with and without the relocation kit in place.

Not sure if you had the chance to look over the spreadsheet details. What I had actually captured there were the real lobe as well as valve lifts, which allowed me to also calculate effective/actual rocker arm ratio at each point.

I did that for the very reason you highlighted here: different rocker arms will have different dimensions and geometry.

So in my case, each time I made a change (such as the position of the adjuster screw: 1 or 3 threads showing) I wanted to better understand the real impact that had. Some good eye-opening results there, and what absolutely floored me here is how the EXHAUST valve lift profile is visibly offset as compared to the lobe itself. The valve actually GAINED lift early on and then LOST lift at about the mid-point onwards. That to me is strange b/c on the W2 head it is the INTAKE that has an offset rocker arm adjuster, so the pushrod travel does not translate to an equivalent and linear (multiplied by ratio) valve travel. The EXHUAST valve on the other hand is pretty straight-on!

Again...numbers can be boring, but they do tell the bigger story.

If there is one curious thing about the kit, it is the fact that in ALL instances adding a lash cap ALWAYS resulted in MORE valve lift without significantly altering the rocker arm roller to valve tip geometry. That implies that somewhere between all the components there is either some extra error, or that the calculations for the kit itself are a little off (heck, my very own "starting-point" calculations certainly add to this).

I will email Mike @B3 next to see if he can spot something here. While I do not think running the lash caps is a big deal, I of course would prefer not to have to do that given that the kit is custom designed and built for the parts I'm actually assembling.