Originally Posted by B1MAXX
The mopars look ok to me. Why did you buy the harlands, and now the b3 kit? Just curious. How much was the b3 kit?

You are right...the MP rockers look like you could almost run with them as-is. I did not measure the width of the roll across the tip, but judging by the video it looks like it's about 1/4 of the stem diameter, which would be about 0.090". I will get the final numbers eventually, but with the collapsing hydraulic lifter and the light checking springs I just didn't get much of a marking on the valve tip. To be clear, there was enough there to eye-ball check, but not enough to actually capture a good measurment and show well in a photo, so that I could post it here. Either way, as you can tell in the video the MP rockers do have a pretty good amount of roll across the valve tip followed by the push down on the tip, so there is wasted motion there. If one wanted to correct that, a matching kit would be required.

Anyways....so why the HS stuff? Well, the original intention was to run a set of double valve springs (CompCams #930 - 1.560" OD, 354 lbs./in. rate, 1.160" Coil Bind Height, 153 lbs@1.900", 383 lbs@1.250"). That was going to cause me a clearance problem with the MP rockers and I would have to do a little grinding on them...which I hated the thought of doing.

In parallel to that, I really wanted to run a 1.6 ratio rocker, maximizing the lift and letting the W2 heads flow some air to support the 408 stroker volume.

Researching all this I came up with the HS stuff as a viable alternative. I watched them for a while (stuff of course never goes on "SALE" LOL), but eventually I got a Summit Code and along with their competitive price match policy I picked these up for $950 USD.

Fast forward a few months (umm, more like a year actually) the heads having been finally finished by the machine shop, I started to measure things and the installed height of the double springs was going to put me way over what the hydraulic roller @seat and @max-lift load should be...yeah, not happy as I had explained all this to the machine shop that did the head work...but...apparently that was lost on them (and I mean I had printed stuff out, specific instrutions on what the final dimensions needed to be).

Sooo...back to the "valve spring" shopping task I went so that I could find a spring that works with what the actual dimensions were telling me I could run. I ended up with the CompCams beehive spring #26056 (1.454" OD base, 1.185" OD top, 400 lbs./in. rate, 1.100" Coil Bind Height, 160 lbs@1.800", 420 lbs@1.150").

Now the MP rocker clearance is not a problem...LOL, yey! But I already have the HS rocker arms, which are nice pieces, and well since I already have them, I might as well make use of these things.

I did not go through the correction measurements for the MP rocker arms yet, they have a smaller diameter roller on them, so that would not require the shaft to be raised quite as much as the HS do. I will say that compared to the corrected HS rocker valve tip roll, the MP are much wider and in the as-is form still need some correcting, just not as much as the HS set does.

Price wise...Mike is charging me $200, which I honestly think is a fair price for the machining he does to make these (if I understand the geometry/shape of these spacers correctly, once I have them here I will know better of course). Am I expecting them to be perfect...in all honesty: NO, there are just too many "moving pieces", meaning not all valve tips are perfectly aligned (height wise), so that means the rocker arm arc will be different between all the valves...but those differences are so tiny (for my purposes) that it's nearly like splitting hair!