Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By mopar346
And that is why I have to give you credit for an interesting argument.

I think when the "hype" and the last of the speculators are truly done with the "hobby", and it long falls to the wayside like collecting/interest in Model T's, rebodied musclecars that were VIN swapped, created clones, recreations, etc, etc will be looked upon with little to no fanfare of their heretic beginnings much like Model T's and A's resurrected today literately from ashes or rust if you will

In the world of vintage race cars re-bodies are done all the time. A Lemans winning Porsche 917(?) has been rebodied IIRC 4 times. Still it sold for millions.

Some people would rather see these preserved rather than destroyed.

Rebodying vehicles has been performed for decades, cars of the 20's and 30's into the early 40's were often rebodied by various custom coach builders to either customize or upgrade the look of the vehicle rather than buying a NEW vehicle during that time period, most race cars, old and new often ran the same chassis for years and rebodying the outward appearance of the car to emulate the mfg's latest offerings, or race regulation requirements...

One only has to spend some time with some individuals restoring, rebuilding vehicles from early teens up the 40's to see just how much disregard there is for originality, VIN swapping,rebodying and the such when there's little to no vehicle or parts left to "restore" in the conventional/traditional sense...

I still say this in not or at least it didn't start out as a rebody thread. From what I read from the OP he has or wants to buy the body of a car he wants to have a VIN plate made from a vinyl FMVSS compliance label on that body's door frame, how is that about rebodying cars? How is that legal without any proof that the missing VIN plate from that vehicle isn't still in the legal possession of the owner of that shell. Does any know if that car is in a salvage yard, a private business lot, the legal owner's yard, etc., Can the OP have a VIN plate legally made to match a VIN on a compliance label on a car that he has no proof of owning or knows the existence of the missing originally assigned VIN plate? That was the question, not rebodying, not swapping parts or VIN plates or if it can be done in States or Countries that don't title, or in States that just require a VIN, real or made up, or the Corvette guys do it all the time or it's been done for decades or.......CAN THE OP HAVE A VIN PLATE MADE FROM A VINYL FMVSS COMPLIANCE LABEL ON A DOOR FRAME HE FOUND ON A SHELL OF A CAR? Simple question that turns, as always to argue What's the answer, can the OP have a VIN plate reproduced from just a (photo at best) vinyl compliance label or not?

MikeR

Last edited by A12; 12/26/16 05:37 PM.