Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK

I guess I just don't understand why you need numbers to enjoy a car.

Dave

Myself, the only "numbers" that I'm interested in are the ones that pass muster with the DMV/RMV, other than that I don't care what they are or where they came from, as long as they are clean...

If I own the "numbers/title" and/or the vehicle they belong to, I see no reason why they shouldn't/cannot be used on a "donor" vehicle if need be...

I know some will say "it's all about the money", perhaps it is for some?

I'll tell you about my first Mopar rebody, it was 1980/81, I had already worked a few years in a bodyshop where we did collision work as bread and butter, Vette/Mustang restos on the side, back-halfing/reboding was common legal Insurance and resto work...

We had a neighbor across the street from the shop, who owned a cherry 69 A12 RR, one day the car caught fire (electrical trunk fire) while parked in his yard, 1/2 the car was basically gone, the (ORIGINAL) owner was devastated,naturally he turned to us to "save" his car, he didn't want just another A12, he wanted his car, as so many owners in this type of situation did, he knew a rebody was the only way, he found the donor (base RR) and demanded everything that could be salvaged from his car be transferred, including all "numbers", his car was restored to his wishes, basically reborn from it's ashes if you will, he had no intention to defraud anyone, nor did we, that how things were done, to some, that's saving a car, to others today, it's fraud, back in the day it was no harm, no foul, and today I still see it as no harm