Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Stanton
So here's a hypothetical question. Say a guy was to buy a '66 or '67 Belvedere or Satelite and doesn't much care for the dash and wants to custamizit with one out of a '68/'69 or '70. I'd agree that the car shouldn't be reg'd as the later model since it clearly isn't BUT according to some of the replies here swapping over the VIN is illegal too.

Some here, misinterpret the law regarding the "handling" of a VIN, even if it's going back on the same vehicle, some would have you think that you need the RMV/DMV and LEO present for a mere dash change requiring the swapping of a VIN tag from one dash to the other

Funny thing about these threads is if we were talking about trucks, nobody would give 2 hoots if we were swapping frames, cabs, doors, beds, VINs etc

I understand some of the arguments about owning two vehicles LEGALLY and holding legal titles and documents for both and then mixing and swapping parts from one to the other but this whole thread started with a vehicle in a salvage yard or farm field or wherever WITHOUT A VIN PLATE ATTACHED TO THE DASH, NO LEGAL TITLE OR DOCUMENTS TO THAT MISSING VIN PLATE, AND ABSOLUTLEY NO, THAT'S NO PROOF THAT THE MISSING VIN PLATE IS NOT REGISTERED TO ANOTHER BODY OF A CAR IT DIDN'T COME OFF OF and the OP wanted to know how to register or get a VIN plate MADE to match a FMVSS compliance LABEL on a door frame? What am I missing???? If this can be done as some have implied, you members that have cars that are not registered yet, or in the process of restoration and not registered yet, or just sitting in the yard behind the house had better hide the VIN because it seems that anyone can write it down, email it off to Vermont or wherever and take LEGAL possession of YOUR car without so much as a worry when they get caught about them legally owning it! Isn't this backa$$ward from HAVING A VIN and legal possession of a car and the VIN plate damaged and a legitimate need to have it legally reproduced?? THERE IS NO VIN PLATE ON THE CAR THAT THE OP WANTS TO HAVE ONE MADE FOR. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REBODYING, OR SWAPPING PARTS. If the OP can have a VIN plate made with as little as a door frame decal and then end up as the legal owner, God help us all.

MikeR

Last edited by A12; 12/26/16 02:33 AM.