Ok I got the carb back together and buttoned the car back up. Engine fired right up but I did do something stupid. I left a balled up paper towel in the intake and forgot to take it out when I dropped the carburetor on. I had a nice little spray of paper towel bits behind my car. I am praying I didn't mess anything up with this but I can't think of what the paper towel could get into that it would hurt...not to mention, it would just burn up if anything was left in the valves?

Either way the engine seems to run fine except now I notice that when I put the car in gear, it drops about 100-150 RPM and the A/C drops it another 50 RPM. Idle out of gear if around 850, in-gear drops to 700 or so and then down 650 or so with the A/C. At that low RPM, it feels like the motor is going to cut off almost. Needless to say I don't want an idle this low as it can't power my goodies spinning he alternator so slowly.

What could be causing this? Do I need to richen up the idle mixture some? I set the screws the same position as before (1-1/4 turns out from bottom). Could a vacuum leak cause this? I made sure all the vacuum ports were plugged or connected...only thing I could think of would be that secondary diaphragm but I replaced the cork gasket on the vacuum housing and was pretty careful getting the diaphragm just right.

Any ideas why the idle drops so much in gear now?

**EDIT**

I upped the curb idle a quarter to maybe a half turn which seems to help. It didn't really up the out-of-gear idle much but now the in-gear + A/C on idle is ~720-750 RPM which I can live with. I am pretty sure the primaries are probably going to the transfer slot now. I can't see an signs of a vacuum leak yet.

On the bright side, the new fuel pressure gauge shows 5-7 psi at idle and doesn't really drop at all if you rev it up (out of gear). When the motor is shut off (hot), it takes about 1-2 minutes for the fuel pressure to bleed back down to zero which seems ok.

Last edited by cjskotni; 05/07/14 09:12 PM.