Mech pump/no elec correct? Just me I'd take out the sender & eyeball the tank to see if the rubber pieces are coming from the gas station pump lines/hoses (reportedly it is common). I'd want a 3/8 line/no sock. If the tank is clean I'd get a parts house "airtex" replacement pump & drill out the 2 long barrels & solder in nipples for the 3/8 line. I ran this OE replacement pump (SB) on a circle track 360 (370 cubes) with 5/16 line & NO starvation at 6200 RPM WOT at the end of the straights (next year going to run a redrilled one as described just to be sure). I've never run a carter mech but I've heard of the "Carter Curse". #1 if the tank is clean you might just get another Carter pump & see if it holds up. What is your filter micron size? I'd want 10 micron hi flow right before the carb. If the tank is clean & you do have newish lines etc not sure I'd need or want a filter before the pump but I'd suggest a high flow 100 micron unit if I did & it would protect the pump if you toss the sock (which I would).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth