Quote:

is it doing OK with the Holley pump once you discovered/fixed the whistling vac leak? So the Carter Curse is real

I don't have the carburetor back on yet as I am waiting to get the new vacuum diaphragm. I know that I don't really need the secondary vacuum pot to run yhe car but I'd rather put it all together on the bench. Hopefully my parts will be in by Tuesday or Wednesday so I can button it back up and see where I get stranded next time!

All I know is I took apart and verified that the valves in the Holley were indeed working properly and that I can't pull or push air through the pump like the Carter.

I am amazed at the luck (or lack thereof) I have with these parts. I can't imagine I could install a mechanical fuel pump 'wrong' and I have done my homework on the rest of the fuel system to make sure everything else is clean now.

On another related topic, if I have the lightest sec vac spring in there now, what would you guys recommend to go to as a starting point? This carburetor was sold 'calibrated for the chebby 502 crate motor' which I have found means everything in it is off. What is the 'regular' spring that a regular Holley 4150 would come with? I always hate to be on the extreme end of these things...I was thinking maybe going to the yellow spring to delay the secondaries a bit..

I also ordered the quick change housing so I won't have to mess with the diaphragm for spring changes.